Confused or Maybe not

mvk111

May 26, 2011
Tampa, FLorida
Was hoping to get feedback on a filter / pump question. The builder just fired up the pool yesterday. I have a 53' Sta-rite Dura glas DE Filter. He put some DE and fired it up with my 1 hp sta-rite pump. The pressure read 18 psi right out of the gate, now from what I read it probably will run high real quick from all the construction debris and new plaster. When we turned the pump to the low speed the pressure dropped to at or just below 1 psi. I am still getting excellent flow out of the two returns on low speed. So my concern was is this right that on low speed the psi is that low in the filter. Should i be concerned at all or since I am getting flow out of the returns this indicates everything is working and my extra large filter is just doing a great job and is not overworked.

Your comments will be very welcomed !! Thanks all !!

Yes, pressure is very low when running on low speed. Mine drops to about 1 psi on low speed vs. about 10 on high speed. As long as the return flow is strong everything is good. As the pressure rises return flow will weaken.

zea3 said:
Yes, pressure is very low when running on low speed. Mine drops to about 1 psi on low speed vs. about 10 on high speed. As long as the return flow is strong everything is good. As the pressure rises return flow will weaken.

Thanks zea3, it seemed to make sense but i was not expecting that low. Guess that is pretty decent for the filter in regards to time between cleaning and wear and tear.

thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.