Jun 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Background: Neglected pool, new owner.

Noticed several wrinkles that are likely just to have to be accepted for now, but there is probably the worst wrinkling a few inched below the skimmer (plate?) opening. Plate is held on with 12 screws and I assume nothing else like glue has been used.

My question then, is it likely worth removing the screws and the skimmer plate and push the excessive liner that is causing wrinkling up into the skimmer opening and then rescrewing the plate (through the new liner surface)? If there is no risk, it would be nice to make the liner less unsightly, but at any risk, it is liking not worth the trouble.

Thanks.

Bama Rambler said:
A picture of the area would help. It could help, but then again, depending on why the wrinkles are there, it could make it worse.

I will post a picture tonight/tomorrow if you'd be so kind to check it out. I can only assume the wrinkles are from the neglect or misuse. The liner is pulling away from the top in several other areas of the pool as if if has expanded and shrunk a few times over its life. I imagine that vinyl where the skimmer is, has been cut to fit the skimmer in and is probably offers a least resisent path when it comes to streching. The depth is around 6 feet at that point, so that is a good amount of weight that has potentially pulled on the liner there.

The neighbor indicated that the previous owners maintenance plan was to drain and refill when the water got too "bad". I cannot confirm this, but I know they do not own a pool, and the filter waste line runs right along their property line and I can possibly see someone confusing a backwash with draining of the pool.

Here is a skimmer picture. The lighting and the fact the pump is running, added with than the less than clear water and my unsteady hand and cheap phone camera, well it is hard to tell the wrinkles. Basically there is a large mostly verticle one on the right and several horizontal ones beneath.

Worries me that several of the hardware (screws) are rusting, shown here but also on the return eyeballs and the shallow end rings. Is this a sign of poor chemical balance or incorrect hardware?
[attachment=0:34h8f7j3]skimopen.jpg[/attachment:34h8f7j3]

Attachments

• skimopen.jpg
    skimopen.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 77
Thanks BR, I will replace them all. eyeballs need them and the rings (not sure the exact term, but when I says rings they are the little ring connectors where you would connect a rope for dividing the deep and shallow ends) do too. While the screws are out I can try and reduce some of the wrinkling.

Believe me the wrinkles are there, I felt them before I could ever see them. Had I turned the pump off, they might have been more apparent in the photo, but getting the water clear is of most importance to me. Looking at fixing these other little things helps me remain patient while I "wait" for the water to clear up!! :wink:
I have heard the magic eraser works wonders, but have not found one for sale yet. Sams had a 10 pack, but I did not feel I needed that big a commitment. Wanted to try one before I bought a truckload.

Also. I considered replacing the screws, and I am glad it was suggested. Also I considered applying something to the ends (glue, vaseline, gasket greese, etc..) to help limit the contact with the water. I can see this being a bad idea if the substance I choose comtaminates the water though. Also it may be totally uneeded should I continue to maintain proper water chemistry. thoughts?

Thanks again for all the great insights. :cheers:

Wrinkles around the skimmer... probably wasn't installed that way. I suspect tri-chlor tabs in the skimmer basket at some point which, when the pump was off, set up a low pH and high chlorine area near the skimmer which can cause fading of the pattern and wrinkling.

I doubt that you'll be able to work them out but you can pop the faceplate off and work what you can into the skimmer mouth, then replace the faceplate and trim what you worked into the skimmer. This can be done with the water up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.