Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What equipment is better Jandy or Hayward?

1. Back To Top    #1

What equipment is better Jandy or Hayward?

We are looking at a few different pool builders and hearing different opinions about Hayward and Jandy? Is one better than the other?

2. Back To Top    #2

In a nutshell, NO. Both have excellent equipment (with a few bad/ poorly designed units for both)

If the reason you are asking is because your pool builder is pushing 1 over the other - go with what your PB is most familiar with (in my case it would be Hayward). I can tell you from experience that you will get quicker and less expensive service from a pool co that stocks the parts for your unit (s) 8)

WELCOME to TFP!!! You'll find that there is a great group of people here who are knowledgeable and will help with any question you may have for your pool!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    I have both brands in my equipment. Very easy to work on, maintain, and service. Knock on wood, mine have been in service for over a year now without any warranty repairs/ issues. Best of luck with your choices.

Welcome to TFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4
    I agree with Waste's reply, that they are mostly the same. I do know that some manufactures increase the warranty period if you go with all their equipment.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks for the replies, we have our first proposal coming in tomorrow, so we will see how it goes.

6. Back To Top    #6
    We got a 3 year warranty on all of our Pentair since that was the builders preffered company, and only 1 year on the Polaris cleaner we went with. It would have been 3 had we gone with the Pentair cleaner too.

Extending the warranty is a big incentive to stick with their brand. Make sure you ask!

Oh....and Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7

jegaines, you may want to run the proposals by the folks here (in another thread) for their inspection/ analysis -- there are some really smart folks here who really know the flow rates vs. plumbing vs. filter and pump size. You are very lucky to have this resource before signing a contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- make the best use of it to get a pool & filter system which will allow you to have a "Trouble Free Pool" .
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8
    I don't use either but you will find it much easier to find Hayward equipment/parts in the futrue.
    21,000 gal Fiberglass (Indoor)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by andy
    I don't use either but you will find it much easier to find Hayward equipment/parts in the futrue.
    I have to disagree with this. It really depends on the distributors in your area. Where I live both are readily available.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Quote Originally Posted by andy
    I have to disagree with this. It really depends on the distributors in your area. Where I live both are readily available.
    Distributors do carry most everything for both but as a homeowner you most likely can't buy from a distributor and have only the local retail pool stores....which most everywere i've seen seem to stock hayward
    21,000 gal Fiberglass (Indoor)

11. Back To Top    #11
    The stores around me carry Jandy parts. Pool stores can be very variable, some will carry some things and not others for no particular reason. If you have any problems locating something it is very simple to go to the Internet and locate Jandy parts, or just about any other kind of replacement part.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School