Please comment on the pool chems.

jreedich

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ok guys. I have been in this house now for a month. The current readings for the pool are
TC = 10, pH = 7.8, TA = 70, CH = 270, CYA = 65, Salt = 3100. When I started the CYA was almost 0, I have been bringing it up little by little. Today I added 10 oz. of Muriatic acid and 7 oz. of stabilizer. I don’t have any baking soda right now so will pick some up tomorrow. The calculator says to add 10 oz. So opinions would be great please.
:-D

Why do you want to add baking soda? Your numbers look good to me except that you report only TC not FC and CC. You need a good test kit like the tft kit.

edit: sorry I just saw your sig showing you have the tf100 test kit.

your TA range is 60-80 I believe, so 70 is about what you want. But if you are adding acid, I think it would be good to have some soda on hand, but not necessarily add it until you know you need it.

Assuming your FC is 10 I would start reducing your SWG run % so that the SWG cell will last longer. I suggest that you test your fill water for TA. Our fill water is high in TA so we do not add baking soda. How are you testing for CYA? I would not add more CYA until you have confirmed your CYA level. Your CYA is already close to the recommended level for a SWG pool.

When I moved in the CWG was set @ 50% (way to high ) the FC was off the wall. I cut it back to 35% and it was still to high So I cut it back to 30 %. Today I lowered it again to 20%.
I use the TF100 XL test kit and I will perform the tests twice so I make sure I am not screwing things up. I have taken the water to a pool store and sometimes they are OK but most times they are wrong. I never use their readings.

The CYA you've added is what is causing your SWG to be more efficient. This is good, and what the intent of raising CYA is for. If you're sure of CYA level, I'd stop right there with stabilizer additions and see how it goes for a week or so. It very well may be exactly where you need it to be.

You're my kind of peep... gettin yerself a good laugh at the pool store every few days for kicks and giggles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.