Solar cover and strap longevety and algae questions.

I just wanted to get some idea how long solar covers should last. The first one I had lasted two seasons before all the "bubbles" burst but I figured it was because I stored it outside in the elements the second season since it was on a reel. The solar cover I have now is a diamond pattern if that makes any difference. It seems to do the job fine but I'd like it to last as long as possible.

The questions are:

1. Since my solar cover stays on a reel, would a cover help preserve the bubbles longer than a few seasons? I've seen tube type covers that would go over the reel. Are they worth it?

2. The straps holding the cover to the reel have disintegrated over the past few years. Any product that will hold up to being wrapped up in a wet solar cover without falling apart in a few seasons?

3. Lastly it seems every time I use the cover during the hot months ( to warm it up after a rainfall ) the pool almost immediately (within 24 hours) get's an algae problem. It's a clear diamond shape bubble cover. Is this due to the temp rising quickly? The numbers look good when I cover it but algae seem to love the cover. The cover doesn't seem to have algae on it when I put it on the pool. Should I add enough bleach to shock the pool when I put the cover on even if there is no algae problem at the time?

At best, the covers are only going to last a few seasons. Storing it inside is your best bet but barring that covering it would help.

The reason you're getting algae is probably because you're not keeping the FC high enough for your CYA to begin with. You should also bring the FC up to shock level and put the cover on for a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.