Self draining cover?

Mar 9, 2009
Midwest
I need a way to cover a pool, to block most of the light, but to keep water off the cover. Ideally I really need it to cover completely so that an animal couldn't drink out of it. Basically I need one of those nice mesh covers, but have to spend as little as possible.

Could I make hundreds of small holes in my black tarp, all over it, to let the rain water drain through? I am hoping it would stay suspended over the pool water level, held taut by the sandbags? If this would not work, is there an alternate version that would? If necessary, perhaps I could put grommets or otherwise reinforce the holes I make. The tarp I have is, unfortunately, torn a little, but I thought it would be okay, being closer to the edge of the pool.

Another idea is to use black mesh fabric I have, the tennis court type. The type that blocks 90% or 95% of the light and/or wind. The fabric is only 6 feet wide and would need multiple strips sandbagged down. I feel like this would work even better being in multiple pieces instead of one huge tarp. That fabric is made to withstand weather, but I still worry about it being soaking wet for long. I believe it would be okay, any input on this? I could cinch up the material every week or two, as needed. I figure they would sag even though most water drains through.

Or some kind of plastic/vinyl sheeting with holes drilled, but I doubt that would work unless the sheets were 18 feet wide to go across the width, and I still doubt it.

Are there any other ideas for covering it that takes care of the rainwater? If there aren't any other ideas, I will have to pump the water off manually, but it's difficult due to being out of town.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.