Rust stain on pool ledge

Jun 14, 2011
Bradenton, FL
I have a rust stain on the pool ledge about 2 feet under waterline... roughly in the shape of a 2ft x 1ft rectangle. It's a plaster pool with the pebbly looking surface.

Fortunately I know what caused it. Some idiot used a Dremel tool to cut off the anchor bolts he used for the pool slide and got a bunch of metal shavings in the pool.

I think I've got the metal shavings out, but the stain won't come clean from using a scrub brush.

Best idea I have come up with so far is to use a large diam pvc pipe or maybe some sonotube to surround the stained spot and come above the water line. Then I could pour some acid in it to dissolve the stain. Then pull out the sonotube and use Borax to bring the pH back up. Hopefully it won't end up like the old woman that swallowed the fly.

Open to easier suggestions. Preferably a non-chemical more mechanical removal method. And yes, that idiot was me.

hillm1234 said:
I have a rust stain on the pool ledge about 2 feet under waterline... roughly in the shape of a 2ft x 1ft rectangle. It's a plaster pool with the pebbly looking surface.

Fortunately I know what caused it. Some idiot used a Dremel tool to cut off the anchor bolts he used for the pool slide and got a bunch of metal shavings in the pool.

I think I've got the metal shavings out, but the stain won't come clean from using a scrub brush.

Best idea I have come up with so far is to use a large diam pvc pipe or maybe some sonotube to surround the stained spot and come above the water line. Then I could pour some acid in it to dissolve the stain. Then pull out the sonotube and use Borax to bring the pH back up. Hopefully it won't end up like the old woman that swallowed the fly.

Open to easier suggestions. Preferably a non-chemical more mechanical removal method. And yes, that idiot was me.
Well, if you are looking for ideas, I suggest you try plain OTC cheap vitamin C tablets in a sock. Just fill an old white cotton (my preference) sock with the vitamin C tabs, crush them using a hammer :hammer: , and place the sock on the offending area. Hold it down w/a pole or sack of pebbles or something non-reactive. See what happens. Since you are sure it is rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.