New pool need help figuring out testing levels

MJS

Jun 8, 2011
Our pool was just installed this past week and I am still making my way through pool school. I need some tips to get things started right. I started with 1 gallon of liquid chlorine and have been adding some every day to maintain chlorine level using the test strips that came with the pool.

I tried the Taylor 2006 today and am still figuring it out. Here is what I have so far...

FC 1.0 (.2 x 5 drops)
PH 8.0
CYA -- Black dot never disappeared even after pouring between the tubes several times slowly.

How much CYA did you add already if any? It takes a week for granular to show up in testing. You should add muriatic acid to get the PH down to 7.2- 7.6 range. Your FC is too low. Without any CYA at all it should be from 3 to 5 ppm. Chlorine/CYA chart in pool school gives you levels for the CYA you add. The pool calculator is your friend! CYA should be 30 or so to start and see how it works. What are your other testing numbers? TA, CC, and such? Welcome!

woodyp said:
How much CYA did you add already if any? It takes a week for granular to show up in testing. You should add muriatic acid to get the PH down to 7.2- 7.6 range. Your FC is too low. Without any CYA at all it should be from 3 to 5 ppm. Chlorine/CYA chart in pool school gives you levels for the CYA you add. The pool calculator is your friend! CYA should be 30 or so to start and see how it works. What are your other testing numbers? TA, CC, and such? Welcome!

Thank you. I didn't add CYA (stabilizer) until this morning and added 1 pound. I was able to get the FC up to 2.0 and CC .4
Alkalinity 330. I will work on the PH tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.