What is needed for running electrical for the pool pump.

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
I have a friend, who is an electrician. We went out and purchased everything we need for running two lines out to my pool. We need to run across my basement, out the basement cinder-block (walk out basement), and about 8 feet underground to the post for the pump. My question is, he had me buy 3 colored 12g wires. Each is separate, a black, white, and green. They cost me $160 total for 75 ft.. We are running them in plastic PVC along the basement rafters.

I was at lowes the other day, and notices they had Romex, I think. (I am total electrical noob) It was 12-2 wire, with all three wires together. It was $78 for 250ft!

I called my friend, and he said we cannot use that. He said first off, you can't run that in the PVC. I said I would gladly drill holes in my rafters to run the wire along, if that saved me $80! He said the ground also has to be seperate for what we are doing. Is this true? I swear I have read of people using Romex on this board. Lastly, he said it would be near impossible to pull that Romex through the right angle turns or PVC, which needs to be 18 inches underground, from the house to the post, then up the post to the outlet.

I cant speak for your local codes, but the NEC code(National Electric Code) does not allow Romex to be used to piping as an insulator. Solid core single strand wire must be used. The PVC is acting as your insulator and per code there needs to be enough free air to act as your insulator. It will look like to big of pipe for the wire being used and that is the way it should be. If I remember right 12g 3 wires is no smaller than 1 1/2 pipe. There are some 0 and 000 wire that can be put into the ground for main power to a meter but it is different and very expensive!

maxepr1 said:
I cant speak for your local codes, but the NEC code(National Electric Code) does not allow Romex to be used to piping as an insulator. Solid core single strand wire must be used. The PVC is acting as your insulator and per code there needs to be enough free air to act as your insulator. It will look like to big of pipe for the wire being used and that is the way it should be. If I remember right 12g 3 wires is no smaller than 1 1/2 pipe. There are some 0 and 000 wire that can be put into the ground for main power to a meter but it is different and very expensive!

Hmm, ok thx. Well, that sucks. So expensive for just wire! LOL, it is the most expensive part. I spent $350 just on wire, outlets, and GFI breaker.

Romex is generally the cheapest wire across the board. It'll often have PVC insulation, is designed for residential lighting and outlets, and usually has a bare ground wire. It's probably the most common and most mass-produced cable around, as it is used in pretty much all home construction. It can sometimes be used for motors, but it's pretty rare and has to be dry installations and has to be indoors.

The stuff your electrician had you get is probably THHN, which uses a high-temp nylon coated insulation, and is designed for applications such as being run through conduit. The insulation is more expensive, and there are less manufacturing resources dedicated to its' production than Romex, naturally enough, since it does not match Romex in consumption.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.