Bubbles Spitting from Return - Is SWG the cause?

Jan 26, 2011
I have a new gunite, salt water pool, and, since it was started, there have been bubbles spitting from the first pool return. I, and my pool builder, were concerned about a leak in the system. However, my PB now says that, after a thorough review of the system and researching the issue, he believes the spitting bubbles are hydrogen created by the SWG and that nothing further can be done to prevent it. Is he correct? The spitting is loud and annoying. How can I be certain it is not caused by a leak, preferably before I make final payment to the PB?

A nominal amount of bubbles emitting from the returns is normal variant for a SWCG pool. If it is really noisy though, I would check for ways that air may be entering the system.

The SWG will produce many small hydrogen gas bubbles, though I have never heard them described as "spitting". There is an easy way to test if the SWG is causing your issue, turn the SWG off, or set the percentage setting to zero percent. Then the SWG will stop producing bubbles and anything that remains is caused by something else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.