What's your current pool temp?

Why not just run the solar by default so the pool doesn't need to heat up as much when it does get warmer? just curious...

The reason is that we will probably not start swimming till March and I only run the pump for 1 hr during the winter months. Usually I can get as much as 10 degrees heat into the pool on a great sunny day, however just out of curiosity I just turned the solar on and the pool temp is 61 degrees.

Why not just run the solar by default so the pool doesn't need to heat up as much when it does get warmer? just curious...

Even though we solar owners like to pretend the heat is free, the reality is it costs a bit of electricity to pump the water through the panels. So unless it’s going to actually heat the pool to a comfortable temp, it’s not worth running it. My solar system heats up the pool in just a couple of days, so there’s no need to start it up so far ahead of time...

The reason is that we will probably not start swimming till March and I only run the pump for 1 hr during the winter months. Usually I can get as much as 10 degrees heat into the pool on a great sunny day, however just out of curiosity I just turned the solar on and the pool temp is 61 degrees.

OK I've been running my pump about 5.5 hours a day from just before Christmas (my last swim day) to early February, just bumped it to 7 a week ago seeing the warmer weather on the way

Today it was 84 and swim season has officially resumed :drown:

Last year I remember swimming in January , the pool was almost 90 1 day.

It does seem like a lot of wasted pump run time for what accounts to only a few swim days, maybe next year I'll just write off mid december to mid february.

OK I've been running my pump about 5.5 hours a day from just before Christmas (my last swim day) to early February, just bumped it to 7 a week ago seeing the warmer weather on the way

Today it was 84 and swim season has officially resumed :drown:

Last year I remember swimming in January , the pool was almost 90 1 day.

It does seem like a lot of wasted pump run time for what accounts to only a few swim days, maybe next year I'll just write off mid december to mid february.

Hey Tim, you are a ways south of me so if I were you I would be heating the pool in the winter months just to be able to swim a few days in December and January. If you get a heat pump you will be able to easily keep the temp @85 degrees without breaking the bank. Our best friend a few blocks from here keeps his pool at 85 but his monthly bill in the winter is high :cheers:

Hey Tim, you are a ways south of me so if I were you I would be heating the pool in the winter months just to be able to swim a few days in December and January. If you get a heat pump you will be able to easily keep the temp @85 degrees without breaking the bank. Our best friend a few blocks from here keeps his pool at 85 but his monthly bill in the winter is high :cheers:

That's one option, but I'm hoping to get a spa instead maybe next fall, maybe longer. I'm guessing to get the one I want with power pad and install will run me between 8K - 10K. Then I really won't care about the pool from November to March (when I don't need a cover even). I really don't like swimming in the winter unless the outside temp is at least 80, and it's sunny, but I imagine in a spa that won't matter :cheers:

87 for a nice 2nd swim day in a row. :snorkle: It was supposed to rain but that never happened. :sunny: Looks like out super cold winter has come to an abrupt end (at least for the next 10 days ) :rockon:

Agree however it rained last nite. Pool temp was 74 yesterday with solar running.

yea it rained late last night but I think only briefly anyway today

88 we were supposed to get clouds and rain sunday, today, tomorrow and a little cooler Wednesday, but it's been sunny enough to bring my pool up to a very comfortable temp. Lets see if I can break 90 by the weekend

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It runs around 85-87 most of time now with our solar heat. Last night we ran the heater a while and had a very lazy hot 92 deg swim then finished with 98 in the spa... great way to finish a tough week on the road!

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.