Keeping ducks out of the pool

Id use the Shotgun! Around here, thats the preferred deterant of choice! Man are we wet up here so you can imagine the ducks and geese that we have around! I even have a pair living where I work. Nice greenhead and a hen mallard right behind the office about 25 yards from the building in the ditch. Things sure do poop all over the lawn! Luckily our customers are all farmers!

Good luck Ted!

Well, I know this is an old thread, but we have ducks for the first time ever (13 years) and THEY ARE NASTY - poop all on the bottom of the pool. I was just checking to see what everyone else did. I saw some floaty crocodile heads (blow-up) that supposedly will scare them off and just read tonight about floating snakes (blow-up). Guess I'll go get both and try them. We also, for the first time ever, have Mourning Doves in our garage! We've accommodated them this time, but a fake owl is going on that shelf as soon as those two babies fly out! I tore the nest down before they even finished it, but the next morning, the garage door wasn't even all the way up when they rushed under, the mama parked her little feathered... and she never moved again for a month. We have grand-birdies!!

Ducks like a low angle approach and takeoff. If you can temporarily fence, arrange furniture, badminton net, so they need to take off too steep, they'll use the easier ponds around and maybe forget about the pool again.

Frequent cannonballs, bombs and belly-flops are also effective.

Last edited:
My cousins use old soccer balls in their pool, to keep the ducks away. It would appear that they don't like the multi colors floating around. I have fortunately not had ducks or geese on my pool. Possibly because there is a much larger pond within 100' of the pool.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.