Do I need to shock

Shocking for the last 2 days

But my CC is still at 3, was at 1.5 yesterday. Guy at the pool store is telling me my bleach may be causing this, he is recommending granular shock.

Here are my readings

FC 3.0
CC 1.5
TA 100
CYA 45
PH 7.4

I am also getting this white stuff on the side of pool and all in the pool as well..

Threads merged - MITS. Please keep your story all in one place; it makes it easier for everyone to follow!

Re: Shocking for the last 2 days

There's no difference between granular shock and bottled bleach other than concentration (read that as convenience, not shock strength!). One downside to the granular shocks is they may add chemicals to your pool you don't want.

The white stuff you see is almost positively dead algae. Your water will turn grayish or milky looking from the dead algae. Your filter will clean this out over time.

Keep the shock level up until you pass the overnight FC test and until your CCs drop below .5. Don't get Pool Stored!!

bleach is water, salt, and the same chemical as the granular shock- without the additves of the granular shock...
Bleach is not causing this- FC converting to CC eating away (oxydizing) contaminants /algae/ etc is causing this- regardless of where the FC comes from!

Yep, keep going until CC is below .5, and you pass the overnight FC test. I won't say your water has to be clear because it took a few days for my filter to clarify the water. It just looked white for a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.