3 Month old Hayward Pump not starting

Jun 8, 2016
Tampa
Good Evening,
We've been running our pump 24x7 on the low speed pretty much since it got installed at the end of May.
No issues whatsoever. Then tonight, I go to move the pump from low speed to high, as we had a tree trimming company out today to trim back some oaks.
The pool was still clean, but I figured some dust and such probably made its way to the pool, so lets run it on high tonight.

I flipped the switch from low to high and only heard humming. I thought maybe the motor was a bit hot and to give it some time to cool down. Came back in an hour or so, it was cool, so I tried to turn on low again, nothing but the humming noise. Back to high, same thing. Unplugged pump for a bit, came back, still same thing. Then I turned to google and learning about the capacitors that can go out in pumps.

I tried calling Hayward, but they closed at 5pm (I'll call in the morning). What are my next steps here? Anything I should consider before I call them?
Fortunately, I measured my chlorine this morning and it was spot on and I have some liquid on hand that I can use to supplement. Are these capacitors locally sourced? Or am I going to end up waiting on Hayward to address it?

I would see what Hayward says. They may want to mail you a capacitor or they may be willing to swap out the pump. You may check with your local pool store and see if they carry capacitors. If there is not a good local source of capacitors near by you may have to order one and wait.

I talked with hayward yesterday, and was referred to one of their local "authorized warranty" shops. After further digging, it seemed like they were going to require that I take the pump in somewhere, which I really don't want to do since everything is hard piped. I ended up doing some additional learning online and removed the back cover off the pump to expose the capacitor. With my screw driver, I was able to confirm that the impeller rotated with no issues. Fortunately this must've helped because then I turned the pump back on and like magic, it started working properly. I plan to go by a pool supply shop today to see if they happen to have these in stock, so that I'm prepared for the next time it doesn't start. For now, all is well. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.