3 day deep freeze, how to protect the pool

once we have daylight I'll go out and check the skimmers during the prime.. I had put in milk jugs as suggested in this thread.. I've taken those out during the prime.. weirs should be down to let water in and I shouldn't see a vortex, right? I do get some air bubbles from a single return which I've seen previously during a successful prime but might be part of the problem.. have double checked to make sure the lid is on tight on the pump..

Hi from DFW, we had that overnight too. There was ice in the pump basket after 45 minutes. I just decided to power down and drain all the equipment because on Oncor’s outage map, on it estimated our power would be out for 4 hours. It ended up being only 90 minutes....but it looks like we are in for a few more of these rolling outages. Just hoping for the best when everything thaws and we turn it all back on!

I had this problem earlier last week when my freeze protection wasn't activated on my spa, and the spa suction line began to freeze. Pool suctions were fine because they had been operating. When I turned on the freeze protection for the spa, as soon as the system toggled over to the spa mode, the pump would lose prime. I had to thaw the suction line with a heat gun for about 30-45 minutes and that got it going again.

Good luck.

--Jeff
Exact same issue here a few days ago. I’m going to make sure to bypass those actuators if it gets cold (next year...we had to drain last night). I’m also going to start researching pool covers because closing the pool is looking better and better.

I’m going to make sure to bypass those actuators if it gets cold (next year...we had to drain last night)

Sorry to hear you had to drain. I'm still hanging in there.

I did reset the actuator so that it was always pulling a little bit from both sides.

--Jeff

Reactions: PaigeMark
Sorry to hear you had to drain. I'm still hanging in there.

I did reset the actuator so that it was always pulling a little bit from both sides.

--Jeff
I'm hanging in there too with running the pump. I'm 80% iced over on surface but water is still moving at returns. Water temp is 33 and Air Temp is 2. I've been pouring warm water in the skimmers to make sure skimmers don't freeze.

I'm hanging in there too with running the pump. I'm 80% iced over on surface but water is still moving at returns. Water temp is 33 and Air Temp is 2. I've been pouring warm water in the skimmers to make sure skimmers don't freeze.

What are your plans overnight?

I hung electric water heater elements in front of my skimmers, based on a comment someone here posted about livestock tank heaters. I'm frozen over except for those spots and the spa spillover. Water temp is 34. A buddy from work who also has a pool did not tent/tarp equipment, and has done nothing but keep it running. His water temp is 30 and its still going fine.

--Jeff

Reactions: Newdude and mjpohl
Ok call me chicken..... This isn't going to get any better....
This is my first time in this situation. Am I missing anything here? I am going to close in a snow storm. Know better for next time.

1. start pumping water from pool below skimmer and tile line.
3. power off pool equipment breaker off
4. drain filter
5. remove plug in the pump. should i disconnect and bring in?
6. remove salt cell
7. pentair ultra temp is between salt cell and pump will disconnecting those help this situation? I don't see drain plug in manual...
Any advice appreciated.

1613411353291.png
1613412157306.png

Ok call me chicken..... This isn't going to get any better....
This is my first time in this situation. Am I missing anything here? I am going to close in a snow storm. Know better for next time.

1. start pumping water from pool below skimmer and tile line.
3. power off pool equipment breaker off
4. drain filter
5. remove plug in the pump. should i disconnect and bring in?
6. remove salt cell
7. pentair ultra temp is between salt cell and pump will disconnecting those help this situation? I don't see drain plug in manual...
Any advice appreciated.

View attachment 175878
View attachment 175880
Pump may have 2 drain plugs, one in the basket area and 1 in the impeller area. SWCG doesn't need to be taken out just losen both ends so the water can get out. Pump doesn't have to be brought in either just loosen as many connections as you have . Don't know this for sure but there may be a drain plug or two in the heater but you need to be sure there's no water in the heater so loosen any couplings by the heater too.

• Love
Reactions: iain42

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
  • Love
Reactions: iain42 and wireform
Thank you guys so much for the advice and help in this thread.
I couldn't get enough water pumped out fast enough so I must get a better pump for next time. It is about to get dark but no bad weather for tomorrow so I will start in the morning now that I have a plan. The next big snow won't hit till Wednesday. They are calling for 7 to 11 inches... We never get this much snow. Crossed fingers for power and lights till the next big snow... Thanks again!!!!

I surrender... I had a solid plan and these stupid blackouts killed me. I worked all day outside trying to break up ice, clear the skimmer, etc. and it was a losing battle. I drained the equipment, opened the valves and am calling it a day. Feels like I'm abandoning a kid or something:

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

I think a lot us feel the same pain. I really thought I could make it based on pool condition this morning. But rolling blackouts were the ender. Our house has been fortunate so far, but only a matter of time. Think it is best decision.
Spoke with 2 pool service companies today. All in agreement about draining pad and like this forum were very helpful. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

Tired. Not much sleep over last few nights.

I surrender... I had a solid plan and these stupid blackouts killed me. I worked all day outside trying to break up ice, clear the skimmer, etc. and it was a losing battle. I drained the equipment, opened the valves and am calling it a day. Feels like I'm abandoning a kid or something:

View attachment 175931

View attachment 175932
I’m so sorry...and feel defeated, too. So much work. In a last ditch effort (‘cause I cannot seem to let it go), I dug up some broken pool noodles I had used as filler in the bottom of a very large flower pot and opened up the skimmers. I was really worried about ice build up but was surprised to see that there was just about an inch of solid slush. Gave me plenty of room to wedge a bunch of those noodles in. Hoping that gives me a little more protection for the next few days of misery. Supposed to be -12 tonight in Tulsa and who knows what the wind chill will end up being. 1613432851138.jpeg

I think we all underestimated everything. I was in a PM with someone saying how we northerners have done this a lot in the spring. Open early and OOOOPS it too early !! But we didn’t have the wind. And the blackouts. And on day 3 it warms up faster than they thought it would and the problem fixes itself.

Y’all doubled down in Texas Hold Em, and did everything right, but luck was not on your side and here you are folding anyway.

If it helps anyone, I feel just as defeated being a spectator that was rooting on the edge of his chair.

It was -7 in Piedmont, OK when I got up this morning. So far, so good. Pump is running with a halogen light shining on it under a tarp. Pool surface is frozen but the skimmers haven't frozen at all, not even the surface. One more really cold night and then we begin inching up. It's supposed to just barely get above freezing on Friday. I have a generator because I live out in the boonies. Occasionally in big ice storms we are out for days at a time, so we have to be prepared. Hang in there, guys, just another couple days and we'll be out of the woods.

Reactions: Newdude

View attachment 175931

View attachment 175932

You put up an admiral fight. It's very hard to beat Mother Nature...she can be a real...well, you know.

I am not thrilled with this polar vortex AT ALL. We are on day 3 of below freezing weather and looks like it will be this way for the next 9-10 days. Adding insult to injury...10-15 inches of snow is forecasted for the weekend. We have not winterized our pool, but have taken precautions. Obviously, the pump is running 24/7. The pool equipment pad is covered and I have two heat lamp bulbs as well as a chicken coop warmer that is keeping it in the mid 30s right now (ambient temp has been 22 or below for the last 48 hours). The water temp is hanging around 37-38 degrees (for the time being) and hopefully the ground will keep it from getting down to 32 or lower.

We do have the means to use a generator to run the pump if we lose power, but ready for "immediate emergency action" if need be. That would be draining pump, heater, and filter and hoping the empty bottle trick in the skimmer would keep it from being damaged. Also have given thought to running the heater for a bit to warm the water, but not an ideal choice.

I am thinking that we should have drained the pad, winterized the house and taken a 2 week vacation to Miami. ;) View attachment 175390
I am in OKC too. The freeze protection of the alternating the spa and pool wasn't keeping up and the pool was freezing up. I turned the heater on and set it to 40 degrees with the pool running 24/7. So far no problems.

Reactions: HeyEng
I’m so sorry...and feel defeated, too. So much work. In a last ditch effort (‘cause I cannot seem to let it go), I dug up some broken pool noodles I had used as filler in the bottom of a very large flower pot and opened up the skimmers. I was really worried about ice build up but was surprised to see that there was just about an inch of solid slush. Gave me plenty of room to wedge a bunch of those noodles in. Hoping that gives me a little more protection for the next few days of misery. Supposed to be -12 tonight in Tulsa and who knows what the wind chill will end up being. View attachment 175945

Well, I have family that live up there and they haven't had a winter nearly as bad as ours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.