<2yr old IC40 seems broken

khobar

Jan 27, 2017
Mesa
Was getting the pool ready for swimming and all seemed okay, but yesterday I noticed no bubbles coming from the jets, and the Cell LED was flashing green indicating "Check Cell". I have not checked the chemistry yet, but the water was okay last time I did check (a month ago?)

My IC40 was bought June 29, 2020 - less than two years ago. They have almost doubled in price since then. Very frustrating.

So, I'm hoping by some miracle things aren't as bad as they seem.
I inspected the cell - there was a bit of calcium. I acid washed using 1/4 acid to 3/4 cup water. Cleaned up fine. Same result.
I acid washed again, 1/3 cup acid to 2/3 cup water. No difference.

Checked the panel - says 0ppm salt and water temp 254 degrees. No errors.

I wondered about replacing the thermistor and thought it was part of the flow sensor. But I came across a pic that shows exactly what is attached to the plumbing after the pump and before the filter, and now I'm wondering if *THAT* is the temperature sensor? (Photo is copied from this site and belongs to "Photogrammer" - I hope it's okay to use)

temp sensor.jpeg

Recommendations?

Thanks.

The flow switch in the front of the IC contains the thermistor used by the IC to determine water temp. It has gone bad. Replace the flow switch assembly and it will likely resolve your issues.

Reactions: khobar
K,

The IC40 has its own temp sensor inside the Flow Switch.

The EasyTouch has two temp sensors. The one between the pump and the filter is the water temp sensor. The one hanging out of the bottom of the EasyTouch is the air temp sensor.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I do not have a heater (other than living in Arizona). ;)

So, the IC40 has its own sensor, and the Easytouch has two sensors, one for water, one for air, yes?
Then the temp. sensor on the flow switch is used internally by the IC40 and is not reported to the EasyTouch? Is that correct?

And the 254 degree water temp shown on the EasyTouch display is from the water temp sensor between the pump and filter? Since it is a cheap item, I should go ahead and replace it even though it doesn't sound like its related to my current issue?

Thanks very much!!

Yes, the IC40 has its own internal temp sensor because it can be setup as a stand alone SWG in some installations. So they design it to do it’s own temperature monitoring. The water temp sensor used by the ET is mainly to control a heater (that you don’t have). So in your setup it’s just reporting water temp. The air temp sensor is also used when there is solar heating available because the ET panel will compare the air temp to the solar water heating temp to make sure it’s not running when it’s too cold out for solar to be efficient. The ET panel needs all those sensors to operate properly. So you should definitely replace the water temp sensor. If that didn’t resolve the IC issues (which I will not expect it to), then replace the flow switch on the IC

Was getting the pool ready for swimming and all seemed okay, but yesterday I noticed no bubbles coming from the jets, and the Cell LED was flashing green indicating "Check Cell". I have not checked the chemistry yet, but the water was okay last time I did check (a month ago?)

My IC40 was bought June 29, 2020 - less than two years ago. They have almost doubled in price since then. Very frustrating.

So, I'm hoping by some miracle things aren't as bad as they seem.
I inspected the cell - there was a bit of calcium. I acid washed using 1/4 acid to 3/4 cup water. Cleaned up fine. Same result.
I acid washed again, 1/3 cup acid to 2/3 cup water. No difference.

Checked the panel - says 0ppm salt and water temp 254 degrees. No errors.

I wondered about replacing the thermistor and thought it was part of the flow sensor. But I came across a pic that shows exactly what is attached to the plumbing after the pump and before the filter, and now I'm wondering if *THAT* is the temperature sensor? (Photo is copied from this site and belongs to "Photogrammer" - I hope it's okay to use)

View attachment 396523

Recommendations?

Thanks.
Idk if I'm allowed to tell you this, but I don't see anything in the rules against it. We have a gently used ichlor 15 by Pentair for sale for $400. If you want to try swcg without paying full price. This is useful for pools up to 15,000 gallons and it works great. Its like new condition, very clean. Only used for two months at 1% running 4 hours per day. We can ship it to you anywhere.

Idk if I'm allowed to tell you this, but I don't see anything in the rules against it. We have a gently used ichlor 15 by Pentair for sale for $400. If you want to try swcg without paying full price. This is useful for pools up to 15,000 gallons and it works great. Its like new condition, very clean. Only used for two months at 1% running 4 hours per day. We can ship it to you anywhere.
Hi Deb - I very much appreciate the offer. I will keep it in mind. I'm hoping the new flow switch fixes things.

Unfortunately, the replacement switch did not resolve the issue. :( Cell produces chlorine for a short amount of time after startup, cycling on and off, and then it goes into blink mode.

On the plus side, replacing the water temperature probe did resolve that issue. Water temp shows 69 degrees instead of 254 like before. ;) And I found the air temperature sensor, dangling underneath as someone above said.

I have sent Pentair an email with the SN - I'm hoping they'll be able to help. Manufacture date on this IC40 was May 25, 2020, so it's not even like it was old old stock before I got it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It should be replaced under warranty. Pentair gives a 24 month warranty even with self-installed. Call them and start a replacement process

Reactions: khobar
Okay - it's been a while but...

I sent an email to Pentair hoping they would be able to help, and lo and behold, they made arrangements to have the cell replaced! They guy came this morning and put in a new/replacement cell, and the pool is back in operation!

Pool guy asked who cleaned the cell, and I told him I did. He asked what acid I'd used, and I said muriatic, 4 pts water to 1 pt acid, very gentle clean. He said the fins looked like they were stripped of their coating. I hope that doesn't bite me in the butt. ;)

Anyway, just thought I'd give an update. ;)

Thanks for that report, khobar. If that does bite you, please share, although I don't expect it will. If there were going to be a problem, I imagine the tech would have called it in on the spot rather than replace the cell. Good to know what he found, though. Was your acid 15 or 31%?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.