2nd Pentair cleaner pump in 2 years...dead

STL

May 15, 2018
St. Louis, MO
Hoping the pool builder will warranty this again or work with me on a solution. My Pentair 1.1 hp boost-rite pump is dead. The pool is on its 4th season and they already replaced it one time and said there was a bad batch of these pumps at that time. Well it’s dead again and now they are proposing me buying a different model pump and having them install it for about $600 all in. I run the thing 1 or 2 hours per day and am only getting about 9 months of actual usage before they die. I’m soured one Pentair now and open to suggestions for other brands of booster pumps. Also wondering if using my VS main pump will work with the cleaner or go that necessitates an entirely new cleaner?

What cleaner do you have?

The Polaris PB4 pump seems to be a workhorse.

Our pool, installed spring 2004, came with a Hayward booster pump. It lasted until 2015, at which time I replaced it with another Hayward booster pump (Hayward 6060 3/4-HP Booster Pump), which is still running great with my Polaris 280 cleaner.

If you were closer I'd sell you my PB-4 pump for peanuts. heck, if you were near DFW I'd probably install it too. Seriously, at that price point, why not ditch the pressure side cleaner, buy a robot (Dolphin/Maytronics S20 is approx $700) and sell your existing pool cleaner on craigslist to recoup some of the costs. Then you would also save the electricity of running the pump.

They are proposing installing a Zodiac PB4SQ pump. Is that the same as the Polaris PB4?

Polaris has the PB4-60 pump that has been the workhorse booster pump for many years. The PB4SQ is fairly new and insufficient reliability information yet on it. PB4-60 can be had for $260 - $300.

Thanks for the ideas. If they will warranty this I’ll use the same model junk pump and hope I get 2 years out of it. Then maybe I’ll look into the robotic cleaners as my cleaner will be 6 years old and require some new parts/rebuilding. If anything, with it being down for the last week+ I’ve realized I ran the cleaner way too often, usually 2 hours each day. I think I can get away with 2 hours once or twice per week as there’s not a lot of junk that ends up in my pool. I’ve got a few small centipedes on the bottom and that’s about it.

My Polaris 380 and PB4-60 pump has been running 2 hours a day for many years now with little maintenance.

The only pressure side cleaner I would buy now is the...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.