Borates for a New Pool

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
I am looking for a recommendation on whether I should add borates to my pool. My pool is almost five months old. About a month ago I added a SWCG and it works well. The issue is that I'm still adding a couple of pints of MA every few days to my pool because my ph is continuing to rise. I know that my Luna Quartz is still curing and I also am probably getting aeration from my spill over spa and my 2 hp pump may be causing the rise as well (when it runs there is visible circulation on the pool surface). I also expected the SWCG to cause my ph to rise. With these things in mind, would borates help slow the rise in ph? Here are my current numbers:

FC 5.0
TC 5.0
TA 80
ph 7.6
Salt 3,400

Lowering the TA will help some. Adding borates technically just slows down the rate of pH rise, but you still need to add as much acid as before though you add it less frequently. If the borates end up inhibiting nascent algae growth that lets you turn down the SWG on-time, then that will reduce the rate of pH rise. This is also why an SWG pool should have a higher CYA level closer to 80 ppm since that cuts down chlorine loss from sunlight letting you turn down the SWG on-time. This is described in Water Balance for SWGs in the Pool School.

I put borax and MA in the pool yesterday evening. Pretty easy although it took longer to dissolve than I expected--much longer than it took the salt to dissolve when I added it for my SWCG. For my pool it only took 7 boxes of 20 Mule and just a little over 2 gallons of MA (total cost about $35). I had to adjust the ph slightly this morning, but so far so good. I like the smell of the water.

Borates have been in the pool for two days and you can see the difference. My water was very clear before, but now it really sparkles. I highly recommend it. I don't see a down side--except for the expense which in my case was very reasonable. I can't tell yet whether it will slow the pH rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.