Impeller Plugging all the time

Mar 23, 2010
Hi all,

I installed a new Hayward Tristar 4 or 5 months ago - in ground pool. The problem is that debris gets past the suction strainer somehow and clogs up the impeller. It clogs with green leaves, like from ligustrum or crepe myrtle, that don't seem like they should be able to get through the strainer. The last time it plugged with grass and small twigs. Of course, it is easy to clean (relatively speaking), but still a pain.

I never had this problem with my old Pentair Challenger.

Is the design of the impeller that much more sensitive to debris? Has anyone else had the problem and solved the problem?

I would appreciate any insight.

mmk

Was the Challenger a larger HP pump?

As a general rule, larger HP pumps tend to have wider impeller vanes which allow more debris through.

mas985 said:
Was the Challenger a larger HP pump?

As a general rule, larger HP pumps tend to have wider impeller vanes which allow more debris through.

This is one of the nice things about the intelliflo pumps nice wide vanes. We have a lot of fir needles here, which is a bear for smaller pumps.

Larger leaves tend to get caught by the basket but if they are water logged, then they can break up and get forced through the basket. Also, seeds, twigs, worms, small flowers, etc seem to get by the basket. Usually it is the long a skinning stuff that makes it through the basket but can easily get caught in the impeller such as pine needles as Racket suggested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all your replys. The pump suction basket is correctly installed and seated. The skimmer baskets as well. No cracks in any of them.

Yes, the new pump is a high efficiency pump with less horsepower - I don't have the details right now.

I do believe that once the skimmer basket gets full, leaves or twigs get past the skimmer baskets and make their way to the pump, as well as stuff from the drain at the bottom of the pool. It could be that water logged leaves and small twigs get past the pump strainer. When I pull out the pump strainer, there are small twigs and plant matter (shredded leaves, grass, etc.) poking through the pump strainer holes, which is what I find in the impeller.

I suspect it is as suggested, that the new high efficiency pump is just more prone to trapping debris in the impeller. I think socks for the skimmer strainers might help, but will probably not be sufficient. Has anyone used sock in the pump strainer? Are there pump strainers with a finer hole size?

Thanks,

MMKeaton

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.