Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One more 2 speed pump question....

1. Back To Top    #1

One more 2 speed pump question....

Although this new 2 speed pump I got does not list a SF rating, their is a sticker on it that says......HP 1.0- .16 SPL
    That sticker tore off almost on its own and underneath it was another similar sticker that says.........HP 1.0- .12 SPL
    Does anybody know what the .16 SPL means?
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    I am not 100% on this one but from what I understand SPL stands for special and means that the HP rating is somewhat fictitious. Normally, motors are labled with HP ratings less than the braking HP of motor thus the necessity of a service factor.

However, for motors labeled SPL, the HP rating on the label can be more the braking HP or a service factor < 1.0 which is why they label it SPL. So basically, you cannot trust the HP rating.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

That does make sense actually since I have located this motors catalog number and searched online discovering that it is listed as a 3/4 hp and not a 1 hp. I just wondered about that and was curious why there was not a SF rating. The motor that this one replaced was also listed as a 1 hp SPL and pulled 9.0 amps. This motor has more power on high(8.8 amps) than the other one did. I know this because it runs about 1-2 psi higher on the guage and also because my lil' shark auto vac is all over the place with this new motor but was not as effective with the other motor. Weird, but I guess every motor is different, even if it is rated the same powerwise. This motor is also quieter on high.
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100