Noob question when it comes to pool sweeps

Sep 29, 2010
Hello all, I just came across this forum board... looks like a lot of great information.

Ok here is my situation... I grew up with a pool and one of my chores was to maintain the pool, so I am not an expert, but I do know my way around them.

I have a huge Redwood tree in my backyard that is consistiantly dropping debris in the pool. I spend a HUGE amount of time vacuming the pool and it is taking away from "play time" with my kids :) . I am at a point where I want to get a pool sweep.

Now I have been reading doing some reading. Being that I have a fiberglass pool I was thinking that I would need a Pressure Vacume Cleaner but on the other hand I do not have a booster pump installed on the pool?

So I am kind of stuck... I am looking for a set up that would not break the bank but would be very functional... Are there any suggestions

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I'm not an expert on IG pool cleaning units, but have you considered a stand alone unit (robot) such as those offered by aquabot? I would think a good quality unit would run around $500 and can run independently of your pool filter system.

I use a pool rover jr on our agp and love not having to vaccum :whoot:

Most of the time I can skim the pool and get rid of the majority of the debris actually a lot of it ends up I'm the skimmer basket but there always seems to be a good amount that makes its way to the bottom of the pool before I can get it out. So it is a consistant problem.
But I will check out the link you provided... thank you!

I have a lot of tree debris as well: leaves, acorns, twigs
PoolSkim is well regarded for better skimming action than just the standard in-wall skimmer
I own a 'pooldevil' http://www.pooldevil.net/ which is similar in concept, different in execution, and costs $30. Helps a LOT.

I currently own a suction side 'kreepy-crawly' type pool vac but looking to go to pressure-side cleaner with a seperate bag for the big debris

best of luck! read up and do searches on the forum, lots of great advice.

Both polaris and "Poolvergnuegen" make both pressure and suction side cleaners
Generally, suction side just vacuum into the pool pump, while pressure side have a leaf bag.
i am close to buying one of the 'Poolvergnuegen' pressure side models with a leaf bag

Cheers

Left Coast said:
I have a huge Redwood tree in my backyard that is consistiantly dropping debris in the pool.

Being that I have a fiberglass pool
Suction side pool sweeps and redwood trees do not mix well. A pressure side pool sweep would do best.

Since you also have a fiberglass pool, a polaris 280 would work best since it has a longer wheel base so it grips and travels better over the slicker fiberglass surface compared to a 380. Now with that being said, any decent size redwood branch would interfere with any pool sweep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pontiac said:
Left Coast said:
I have a huge Redwood tree in my backyard that is consistiantly dropping debris in the pool.

Being that I have a fiberglass pool
Suction side pool sweeps and redwood trees do not mix well. A pressure side pool sweep would do best.

Since you also have a fiberglass pool, a polaris 280 would work best since it has a longer wheel base so it grips and travels better over the slicker fiberglass surface compared to a 380. Now with that being said, any decent size redwood branch would interfere with any pool sweep.
I figured the larger branches (Well large twigs) would cause a problem, and sometimes they are mixed in with the debris. I guess I will just have to deal with it.
A question on the polaris 280 or 380, that would require a booster pump?

Yes you will need a booster pump.

Here is a good story for you that's right up your alley. :cool:

We picked up a new client today that has a fiberglass pool. Leslies sold him a Polaris 3900. The 3900 is of the same design as the Polaris 380/360...shorter wheel base. This 3900 was not cleaning the pool; as a matter of fact, it was not doing much of anything. So the PO took it back to Leslies to see if something was wrong wiit it. Leslies said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The PO paid $1000 for the 3900 (not including the booster pump). We installed a Polaris 280 and it is flying around the pool doing its job. You do not have to spend more to get more, you just have to talk to the right people. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.