Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motel pools

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Motel pools

Went on a quick trip over the weekend; used the motel pool. The water was cloudy and greenish; the equipment looked pretty new and included an inline chlorinator (tablets, aack!) Excessive CYA, I don't doubt. There were sufficient bugs floating in the pool to motivate me to fetch the skimmer net and scoop them out.

Yes, I did get in anyway! Wore a swim cap and took a shower with soap afterwards.

It was great to get back to my own sparkling clear pool! I know I'll never look at pools the same way again. Every time I see a pool that looks less than perfect I want to get my test kit and get to work.
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

2. Back To Top    #2

I keep wanting to bring my test kit when I stay a a hotel with a pool I haven't done it yet, but I think I'll have to next time (spent the night last night at a Marriott with a pool, but was going to see Jimmy Buffett and never saw the pool, and for once didn't smell it in the lobby )

I think it'd be fun for all of us to take out TFP kits (or equivalent) to the hotels we stay at and post the results here
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I think it'd be fun for all of us to take out TFP kits (or equivalent) to the hotels we stay at and post the results here
    Oooo, I like that idea! I think I must try that. . . I have certainly wanted to!
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by waste
    There is no equivilent to duraleighs TF Testkit.

Dave, please make the check payable to SeanB at...
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5
    I grew up in motel pools in the 50's and 60's. Then I married a 'lake' man and he said no way were we swimming in a motel pool. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. So what is the skinny on motel pools? jenn
    ABG, Cornelius, 12'x24', oval, 7,700 gals, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump, sand filter. BBB. 6-4'x10' Fafco solar panels, permanently installed on wooden ground rack, GL235 auto controller.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around May be something in the water? I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jj
    I grew up in motel pools in the 50's and 60's. Then I married a 'lake' man and he said no way were we swimming in a motel pool. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. So what is the skinny on motel pools? jenn
    Like many pools, they aren't well maintained. Also tend to get a fairly high bather load. Adds up to CYA buildup. . . insufficient fc. . . cc's. . . algae blooms. . .icky!

While I am still willing to use a motel/hotel pool, there is NO WAY I am getting in a hotel spa/hot tub!!
    ~Jules~

Taylor K-2006 test

8. Back To Top    #8

Jules, the hot tubs are fine, if you bring your kit and a case of bleach
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around May be something in the water? I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce
    Hi, I'm Brian and I have Pooliosis!
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tagprod

Joyce
    Hi Brian, I knew you were one, but did not want to call any 'names'..... .....I guess it takes one to know one! It is a fever, isn't it? BTW, is pooliosis a twelve step program?

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tagprod

Joyce
    Hi Brian, I knew you were one, but did not want to call any 'names'..... .....I guess it takes one to know one! It is a fever, isn't it? BTW, is pooliosis a twelve step program?

Joyce
    yea, 12 steps - 12 ounces at a time...
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

12. Back To Top    #12

We stayed at hotel in Blacksburg when we took my son down to Tech ... OMG ... there were kids swimming in the pool and it was so green I could see it across the parking lot! There is nooooooo way I would ever get in a public pool after taking care of my own!!!! I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who wanted to grab a test kit, if only to see how bad it really was!
    42,525 gallon IG gunite pool with DE filter and spill-over hot tub.

13. Back To Top    #13
    You should see me when we cruise, especially the 3/4 days out of CA. Those spas are scary with all the people...then all the kids running through them - do like the salt water in the ppols each morning. They cycle fresh salt water to the pools each am.
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.

14. Back To Top    #14

On a recent trip, I saw a family using the hotel cesspool. The young kids were playing in the spa and were submerging their heads completely in the brown, foamy "water." I wonder what diseases they're battling now.

Blech.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit