Motel pools

giulietta1

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2007
289
Knippa, Texas
Went on a quick trip over the weekend; used the motel pool. The water was cloudy and greenish; the equipment looked pretty new and included an inline chlorinator (tablets, aack!) Excessive CYA, I don't doubt. There were sufficient bugs floating in the pool to motivate me to fetch the skimmer net and scoop them out.

Yes, I did get in anyway! Wore a swim cap and took a shower with soap afterwards.

It was great to get back to my own sparkling clear pool! I know I'll never look at pools the same way again. Every time I see a pool that looks less than perfect I want to get my test kit and get to work.
 

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
4,160
Coastalish 'down easter'
I keep wanting to bring my test kit when I stay a a hotel with a pool :slidehalo: I haven't done it yet, but I think I'll have to next time (spent the night last night at a Marriott with a pool, but was going to see Jimmy Buffett and never saw the pool, and for once didn't smell it in the lobby :wink: )

I think it'd be fun for all of us to take out TFP kits (or equivalent) to the hotels we stay at and post the results here :twisted:
 

jj

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
71
I grew up in motel pools in the 50's and 60's. Then I married a 'lake' man and he said no way were we swimming in a motel pool. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. So what is the skinny on motel pools? jenn
 

Butterfly

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2007
10,045
South Carolina
Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around :shock: May be something in the water? :wink: I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce
 

giulietta1

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2007
289
Knippa, Texas
jj said:
I grew up in motel pools in the 50's and 60's. Then I married a 'lake' man and he said no way were we swimming in a motel pool. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. So what is the skinny on motel pools? jenn
Like many pools, they aren't well maintained. Also tend to get a fairly high bather load. Adds up to CYA buildup. . . insufficient fc. . . cc's. . . algae blooms. . .icky!

While I am still willing to use a motel/hotel pool, there is NO WAY I am getting in a hotel spa/hot tub!!
 

tagprod

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
489
Tomball, Texas
jjparrish said:
Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around :shock: May be something in the water? :wink: I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce
Hi, I'm Brian and I have Pooliosis! :-D
 

Butterfly

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2007
10,045
South Carolina
tagprod said:
jjparrish said:
Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around :shock: May be something in the water? :wink: I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce
Hi, I'm Brian and I have Pooliosis! :-D
Hi Brian, I knew you were one, but did not want to call any 'names'..... :wink: .....I guess it takes one to know one! It is a fever, isn't it? BTW, is pooliosis a twelve step program? :cheers:

Joyce
 

tagprod

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
489
Tomball, Texas
jjparrish said:
tagprod said:
jjparrish said:
Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around :shock: May be something in the water? :wink: I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce
Hi, I'm Brian and I have Pooliosis! :-D
Hi Brian, I knew you were one, but did not want to call any 'names'..... :wink: .....I guess it takes one to know one! It is a fever, isn't it? BTW, is pooliosis a twelve step program? :cheers:

Joyce
yea, 12 steps - 12 ounces at a time...
 

Lisa

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2007
18
Nokesville, VA
We stayed at hotel in Blacksburg when we took my son down to Tech ... OMG ... there were kids swimming in the pool and it was so green I could see it across the parking lot! There is nooooooo way I would ever get in a public pool after taking care of my own!!!! I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who wanted to grab a test kit, if only to see how bad it really was!
 

From_Arizona

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
212
Glendale, AZ
You should see me when we cruise, especially the 3/4 days out of CA. Those spas are scary with all the people...then all the kids running through them - do like the salt water in the ppols each morning. They cycle fresh salt water to the pools each am.
 

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
187
Alamo, CA
On a recent trip, I saw a family using the hotel cesspool. The young kids were playing in the spa and were submerging their heads completely in the brown, foamy "water." I wonder what diseases they're battling now.

Blech.