Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar pool heater

Thinking about buying one of those solar pool heater take the water from the pool and run it through some plastic panels. Do they work? Can anyone recommend a particular one? I'm trying to extend my season by a couple of weeks in both directions.
    Grace Suarez
    You Bet, California
    10k gal AG vinyl, Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Oh it makes a great deal of difference! Mine are Solar Bear 4x20s. We have 2 sets on our pool and it really does warm the water up - but you have to keep that heat in by covering the pool at night, when its windy or cool out or its all for nothing.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a similar type of solar panel as you are looking at. Got it from backyardlivin on e-bay. It works great for me. We swim from February to November. Of course I live in South Texas, the panel is on the south side of th house and well protected from the wind. As the last reply stated, if a cold front comes in with wind etc. it will put you out of the pool for a few days and its worthless if you don't use a solar blanket. All in all, well worth the investment.
    16x32 fiberglass pool
    1.5 hp pump
    cartridge filter
    solar heater
    Dolphin Diagnostic

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have the solar company on my roof as I type this, they already installed the panels and now are connecting all to the plumbing....not that i need solar to get my pool temp up right now this mornign the temp was at 93 degrees and rising due to the extremely warm weather we are having. Yetserday it was 114 degrees in my backyard.
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.

5. Back To Top    #5
    If the water gets too warm, you can use solar panels to cool your pool by running them at night.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If the water gets too warm, you can use solar panels to cool your pool by running them at night.
    I do remember the solar guy telling us about that - Thank you for to jog my memory and be able to use it during the summer too.
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.