24x12 Intex semi-inground build - finished!

Rushey

Mar 26, 2021
Ireland
Ok, so I am installing a 24x12 intex pool (had a round one at my last house). I have decided to have it semi in ground, 30" down. Here are some of my progress pics (ignore the mess, I am getting the patio done at the same time, also there is a deck being installed around the pool in a few weeks:

Oh, and before anyone thinks that the pile of dirt behind the pool is all you would have, that's after 2 full dump trucks have been taken away

Thanks to the information on this forum I was able to set out the pavers before hand!

Anyway, I am now moving the pump, filter, heater and solinator beside the house, at ground level, at the top right corner, so have to do some plumbing. I have no problem doing the plumbing but am really struggling with deciding which way to go and what I need. I have a skimmer & water fountain to install, so will have two pipes in each direction.

I think I am decided that I am going for this heat pump if anyone wants to comment? https://www.splashandrelax.co.uk/products/Pool+Accessories/Pool+Heating/Hydro+Pro+ABS+Swimming+Pool+Heat+Pump+Type+P20/32-+19.5kW/1636290405

Firstly, the whole sizes thing messed me up. So 40mm PVC pipe is the same as 1.5 inch, even though 1.5 inch is 38mm! :oops: But ignoring that, I then wanted to go for some kind of flexible PVC that could glue to 40mm pipe. However, I can't source it where I live (Ireland) so it now looks like I have have to hard plumb it. So the question is 50mm or 40mm? The questoin is, is there any point in having 50mm plumbing when the Intex components are limited to 1.5 inch? I'll just have to use reducers at the pump, filter and solinator so might as well just use 40mm everywhere?

Any advice or comments are more than welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

What a great project... since you are adding a skimmer and hard piping I want to suggest you go all the way... Get a normal above ground or in ground pump and filter setup... That will take a major headache of your shoulders in a couple months when you figure out the intex setup is just not really good, it barely gets the job done..

What I am not sure is what supplies of pumps and filters are there.. Can you get a 1hp 2 speed or VS pump and a 20 to 30 inch sand filter? That would give you the best outcome and last WAY longer than a year or 2 for the Intex setup.....

I did all hard pipe and a suction side cleaner, so 2 suction side and 2 returns...

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Rushey
Stalk my thread that is linked in my signature for information on how to make adapters for Intex pumps. Also, while I agree that Intex equipment isn’t as good, I have had surprisingly good luck with mine over the years.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
Interesting setup.
To use the Intex pump and any above ground pump (non-self priming) you will need to make sure the pump inlet is below the water level.
If the pump inlet is above the water level then you’ll need to get a self priming pump that would be used for inground pools.
If you decide to use the Intex pump, they are not standard 1-1/2” fittings. Intex uses proprietary fittings at the pool edge and at the pump/filter.
What will you use to support the dirt wall where are you dug out your hole? How will you remove water that collects down below in the hole?

I got a heat pump 15.8kw and had to upgrade my pump and filter as the Intex wasn’t good enough.
2 speed and VS are very expensive this side of the pond so I just went single speed.
I went 1.5” pipe and got a 2” adapter and 1.5”reducer and the Intex flexible pipes fitted fine using the L shaped gaskets that come with them.

Thanks for all the replies!
What a great project... since you are adding a skimmer and hard piping I want to suggest you go all the way... Get a normal above ground or in ground pump and filter setup... That will take a major headache of your shoulders in a couple months when you figure out the intex setup is just not really good, it barely gets the job done..

What I am not sure is what supplies of pumps and filters are there.. Can you get a 1hp 2 speed or VS pump and a 20 to 30 inch sand filter? That would give you the best outcome and last WAY longer than a year or 2 for the Intex setup.....

Hadn't planned upgrading the Intex stuff yet. I'll probably stick with it for this season and see how it works.

To use the Intex pump and any above ground pump (non-self priming) you will need to make sure the pump inlet is below the water level.
If the pump inlet is above the water level then you’ll need to get a self priming pump that would be used for inground pools.
If you decide to use the Intex pump, they are not standard 1-1/2” fittings. Intex uses proprietary fittings at the pool edge and at the pump/filter.
What will you use to support the dirt wall where are you dug out your hole? How will you remove water that collects down below in the hole?

Pump will be below water level so should be ok.

I am going to put in a small retaining wall using the deck support posts, its not too deep so should be ok. I have been thinking about the drainage, nothing additional planned for now, want to see how it works when I have the retaining wall and the deck overhead.

I got a heat pump 15.8kw and had to upgrade my pump and filter as the Intex wasn’t good enough.
2 speed and VS are very expensive this side of the pond so I just went single speed.
I went 1.5” pipe and got a 2” adapter and 1.5”reducer and the Intex flexible pipes fitted fine using the L shaped gaskets that come with them.
I was aware of the flow rate of the pump, I think the one that comes with my pool (2,100 gph / 8 m3/h) should be able to manage, at least for this season.

I saw those conversion kits, just not clear what part of the system the adapters are for, as there seems to be three which seems an off number?

Your build looks great so far! I love the enclosure for the pump, I am planning to do something similar.

Has been difficult to source stuff due to Brexit. None of the UK sellers will ship to Ireland anymore, or they will but I have to pay customs and high shipping fees. There is nothing in Ireland so I have had to find European based sellers.

Here are two good ones for anyone interested, seem to have plenty of stock in items that are hard to find:
Swimming pool spare parts Astralpool , Pentair , Hayward , Zodiac - Rudy-shop.eu
Pools und Wassersport

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thanks for all the replies!

Hadn't planned upgrading the Intex stuff yet. I'll probably stick with it for this season and see how it works.

Pump will be below water level so should be ok.

I am going to put in a small retaining wall using the deck support posts, its not too deep so should be ok. I have been thinking about the drainage, nothing additional planned for now, want to see how it works when I have the retaining wall and the deck overhead.

I was aware of the flow rate of the pump, I think the one that comes with my pool (2,100 gph / 8 m3/h) should be able to manage, at least for this season.

I saw those conversion kits, just not clear what part of the system the adapters are for, as there seems to be three which seems an off number?

Your build looks great so far! I love the enclosure for the pump, I am planning to do something similar.

Has been difficult to source stuff due to Brexit. None of the UK sellers will ship to Ireland anymore, or they will but I have to pay customs and high shipping fees. There is nothing in Ireland so I have had to find European based sellers.

Here are two good ones for anyone interested, seem to have plenty of stock in items that are hard to find:
Swimming pool spare parts Astralpool , Pentair , Hayward , Zodiac - Rudy-shop.eu
Pools und Wassersport
The 3 parts for the kit are in, out, and backwash out ( although this bit is not always needed depending on what you are doing with backwash).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just starting the 3rd season and thought I would drop a few comments on what I would do differently if I started again:

1) Wouldn't bother with the salt water system - I probably spent as much time making sure it was doing its job then I would just shocking the pool once a week and keeping the floater topped up. Have not turned it on since the first few months.
2) Skimmer - Firstly I think the wide mouth was overkill and the height is more important than the width. Need to be very careful when setting the height to ensure you have the correct water level when the pool is full to feed the skimmer while not being above it. Also, the sides of the pool lean in quite a bit so the skimmer can be at an angle. I had to weigh mine down to straighten it up, which puts extra pressure on it and the pool wall.
3) Plumbing - If you can get it (I can't in Ireland) make sure to use flexible PVC at the pool side of the plumbing. The sides move around quite a bit so the hard pipes ca struggle.
4) Decking - Only thing here is to make sure you consider whats going to happen when you need to replace it. I didn't really so now I am worried about the day when that happens as I will have to remove at least half the deck (which was the most expensive part of the project by far!).
5) Stairs - Has worked well but don't like that it floats around a bit. However, I don't think I would go for a fixed option as I would be worried about the pool sides.

Apart from that it has been great. The heater keeps it warm all summer and in Ireland we don't really need to worry about winter so its not even a bit deal to leave it full.

Happy to answer any questions.

Were about to wrap our Deck around the pool we were think of going trex decking or wood ? any comments on that part of it and we were thinking going with dark gray as well as it gives a nice modern feel any input advice would be great : ) x

Amazing job! It looks awesome!!

I also had an issue with the saltwater system from Intex. The controller went out at the 1yr mark but after some basic electronic troubleshooting, I found that the salt cells just run on 12v at 3A. So bought a variable-sealed outdoor 12v power supply for like $30 off Amazon. I removed the saltwater cell holder from the Intex controller and mounted it with the cells on the pump house wall. I cut the power cables that run to the salt cells and wired them up to the power supply. I use an IOT outdoor power switch to control the pump and saltwater power supply. The only issue is that the salt cell only lasts for about 2yrs then I have to purchase a new one from Intex.

I have the smaller Hayward Skimmer installed and it is too tall IMO.

In my build, How to sink AGP and build deck in 30 days the stairs are a big issue. Since my deck is not raised to meet the top of the pool I have to get creative. The ladder I have works great but I have to figure out how to secure it better cause it wants to float also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.