Don't try grilled bacon

PoolGuyNJ said:
Dogs don't know it's not bacon! :party: :roll:
HAH! Don't laugh, last week my dog got a hold of a big gob of dental floss and ended up eating 2 long pieces. Kind of freaked me out. I ended up sifting through poop for a couple of days waiting for it to come through... :pukel:

I make an appetizer of shrimp with a sliver of jalapeno, wrapped in bacon and slathered with BBQ sauce over the grill. I originally learned to make this high up on the grill (gas) to avoid flare-ups but it was still a problem and overcooking of the shrimp usually resulted to get the bacon crispy enough for my wife's tastes. So I started pre cooking the bacon over indirect heat and then wrapping it when it was half cooked around the shrimp - except for the occasional burning of the finger tips this works much better and we can have varying levels of crispy bacon around perfectly cooked shrimp.

"MMMMM...Bacon" - Homer Simpson

I make BBQ Bacon on the grill all the time,in a pan of course.Just throw it in and keep pouring out the grease til it produces no more.Add your sauce when your sure all the grease has cooked out.I have requests for it every time I invite people over.Do not add salt it will get salty if ya do

I wrap stuffed jalapeno's w/bacon & put them on the grill every summer when we get them fresh from the garden. I tend to cook them on a med/low heat so the peppers can get soft, the cheese inside can melt and the bacon doesn't flair. I've not had a problem as of yet if I keep a close eye one it. Each piece only has a half a slice of bacon on it or so and I usually don't do more than about 6 at a time, so maybe that's the difference.

Never tried to cook bacon directly on the grill, due to grease and figuring I'd flame my rear.
OnFire.gif

However, nothing like shrimp stuffed with jalapeno wrapped with bacon on the grill or venison or dove wrapped with bacon. Best to cook with indirect heat, obviously, but when wrapped around a meat and not just laid out on the grill you can tolerate a bit of direct heat, but you have to watch it. It's best to have a beer handy to douse the flame. LOL

JJ

I grill bacon all the time. I put the bacon directly on a cold grill. After I light it I keep the flame very low with the lid closed. Low heat is the key here. You have to stand by to manage flare-ups but I end up with very tasty bacon.

The fun starts after the bacon leaves the grill and I crank the heat! Lots of fire and black smoke!!!! :twisted:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Theo said:
I grill bacon all the time. I put the bacon directly on a cold grill. After I light it I keep the flame very low with the lid closed. Low heat is the key here. You have to stand by to manage flare-ups but I end up with very tasty bacon.

The fun starts after the bacon leaves the grill and I crank the heat! Lots of fire and black smoke!!!! :twisted:
I don't use a gas grill, I use charcoal. Mesquite charcoal. It burns hot enough to crack the porcelain on a weber. No way to start with a cold grill.

Best way I have found to cook bacon is on a broiler pan. The slotted pan allows the grease to stay clear of the bacon and the fire. Works great either in the oven or on the grill. You will get bacon to come out that will rival your favorite breakfast restaurant.

Best part is the pan collects all that fat to make a nice gravy to top some biscuits.

I grill bacon almost everytime I grill! Love bacon especially on burgers. Like mentioned above, don't do it over direct heat it must be indirect. Right now I use one of those green brinkmann smokers...using cherry wood lately mixed in the charcoal :cheers: I burned it the first few times, but now I am a bacon grilling machine :blah: If I ain't grilling do the oven thing, it works wonders, just no smoky flavor :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.