Will CYA harm liner?

Jun 19, 2010
I added granular CYA to my skimmer yesterday and I noticed this morning that some of it has gotten by the sand filter and is sitting on bottom of pool. Will this harm my liner? Also, shouldn't the sand filter caught all of the CYA?

I'll give you the same advice I was given-------------and followed! CYA has/is a mild acid and you need to vacuum it up and run it back through the filter. In a Perfect World, the sand filter might have done it completely.

woodyp said:
I'll give you the same advice I was given-------------and followed! CYA has/is a mild acid and you need to vacuum it up and run it back through the filter. In a Perfect World, the sand filter might have done it completely.
Thanks for the advice. My problem is that I will not be able to vacuum pool until I get home (10 hrs). Will the CYA damage my liner in the meantime?

It probably won't, but it might. With a vinyl liner, there can be very minor damage, that isn't visible, which shortens the life of the liner. If a pile of CYA is sitting in once place it is most likely to cause damage. If there are individual grains here and there, it is less likely. If it is getting moved around then things are probably fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.