Are all DPD/Phenol Red tabs the same?

Kes

Apr 24, 2010
Worcester UK
Bear in mind that we don't have such sophisticated test kits here in the UK.

I'm using the DPD1 tabs in a colour comparator to test for FC (and Phenol Red tabs for ph). With the standard kit that every pool store sells the range for FC runs up to 3 ppm. The comparator in the Palintest kit has a range up to 6 ppm.

Are all DPD1 tabs from different manufacturers the same? Can I use generic tabs in the Palintest comparator or do I have to use the more expensive Palintest tabs? If they're all the same, why do the standard kits only go up to 3 ppm, and the Palintest up to 6 ppm?

Palintest and Lovibond are UK companies and FAS Dpd test kits together with disappearing dot CYA test kits are available and just about every other test you could want. The fact that rather than sell you a proper test kit UK and European pool shops would rather keep you in complete ignorance so they can sell all the other junk you don't need is just how they like it. I will get some of these test kits together so we can educate the pool owners away from the pool stores.

You get what you pay for, although Palintest are more expensive but may still be made in China they do seem more reliable than some and are calibrated to their colour wheels and 2,3,4,5, &6 quick testers and photometers. They also have a shelf life of around 5 years so not that expensive for quality.

Likewise the Lovibond equipment.

I have an agency with Palintest and it is available here as thats how it gets there :-D

If there is enough interest I will sort out an order, the problem is people will spend a fortune on the pool and all sorts of toys for it but it tough to get people to flash out £40 for a test kit even when they waste that on unnecessary chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.