converting my ecosmarte system to chlorine

If you are using CYA, the CYA "buffers" the chlorine. You can think of that as holding some of the chlorine in reserve, while leaving a much lower active chlorine level. Then when the active chlorine level falls, some of the buffered chlorine is released to maintain the active chlorine level about where it was originally.

In a typical indoor commercial pool there isn't any CYA, and a whole variety of minor problems ensue because of the very high active chlorine level (hair can be damaged, bathing suits fade, toxic disinfection byproducts can accumulate, etc). When using CYA, none of these common (to indoor commercial pools) problems occur because the active chlorine level is much lower (even through the total chlorine level is higher) because of the CYA in the water.

Well I converted over. I bought a closing kit from the local pool store. They checked my water and I had .3 copper 6.8 ph and 0 alkalinity. I thought the water felt odd at the end of the year. I just got my new kit TP-100. The pool is totaly closed now. So there is no reason to check the numbers now right? I would like to look into a DIY solar heater next year.

I just noticed your post. If indeed your pH and TA were truly that low, then you should add baking soda to raise the TA. Without any TA, the pH is probably very low and could swing wildly as well -- not a good thing and could damage metal as well as your vinyl.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.