21ft above ground round pool and new cover..

stev

Jun 4, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
Howdy all, so last year was my first year at the house and the PO left behind a solar cover. It was end of life but i used it last summer and struggled.

This new season I got a new pool cover, new reel attachment clips and I also picked up the two cones that let my reel sit in as the PO seemed to have lost all that so I that was half the battle last year trying to keep the roller so I can actually roll the cover on. Last year I used a couple of pieces of PVC pipe as my legs which worked somewhat..

Well before I attached my new cover to the reel is there a trick where this thing should be mounted? Basically last year what was happening as I would start to reel the cover in it would get caught under the pool railing and wouldn't glide up nicely over it and onto the reel.

So I'm looking for advice of where this thing should be mounted, the centre idea I found is awkward due to the was the deck is constructed I won't be able to swing the whole reel far away enough to clear the pool.

Yah.. I just re-read my stuff lol and it makes no sense.

See the attached pictures. Sorry for the mess the deck is being painted as we speak. But basically its an upper and lower part to the deck.

Basically the reel would go at the upper part of the deck towards that back wall. My question is, for a round pool can the reel/cover be installed at the back or does it need to be mid section of the pool? If its mid section of the pool, then I would have to lift one leg and rotate it out of the way so that the reel is not hanging over the pool as I'm in it. But as you can see the way the deck is constructed I couldn't rotate the reel over to the side far enough to clear the whole pool so it would still be in the way if I was actually using the pool.

This reel I have is pretty standard and these are the legs for it; FeherGuard FG7B - Replacement Aboveg - Pool Supplies Canada

My reasoning for this is, because last summer I had the reel installed in the back part of the deck where the Telepole is and when I tried to reel the cover up in onto the reel it would get hung up on the sides of the pool tops plate and of course that would lead to ripping the cover and putting more stress/tension on it than necessary.

In other words what I am trying to do is make it so that the cover can be reeled off the pool and back on with just 1 person and not require additional assistance.

images https

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpg
    IMG_4622.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 55
You need to get an engineer in on this project! What I am seeing is a curve over the pool that pivots on either side of the pool. It sets just outside of the back of the pool following the curve when you are in the pool. You pull it forward when you want to close it. Not sure how you would do this though LOL

Kim:kim:

I have the same problem with my cover and solar roller. I keep thinking I'll get the hang of it and one day I'll have a nicely rolled up cover. So far, I have learned to: pull the cover off the pool about 1/4 of the way on the side closest to the reel before I begin reeling it up, I lock the reel handle in place with a black rubber tarp strap and make adjustments as I reel (a pain), when it's all reeled up, I lock the reel down with my strap and wrap the cover with bungee cords so the wind doesn't unwrap it. Maybe it won't be so complicated when I can actually get in the pool to put it back on the pool, but right now it's very difficult.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhh, also, maybe you could get a solar cover roller base that rolls. You could set it on the upper deck as close to the step as possible. Then, when it's rolled up, push it back to the fence.

I have the same problem with my cover and solar roller. I keep thinking I'll get the hang of it and one day I'll have a nicely rolled up cover. So far, I have learned to: pull the cover off the pool about 1/4 of the way on the side closest to the reel before I begin reeling it up, I lock the reel handle in place with a black rubber tarp strap and make adjustments as I reel (a pain), when it's all reeled up, I lock the reel down with my strap and wrap the cover with bungee cords so the wind doesn't unwrap it. Maybe it won't be so complicated when I can actually get in the pool to put it back on the pool, but right now it's very difficult.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhh, also, maybe you could get a solar cover roller base that rolls. You could set it on the upper deck as close to the step as possible. Then, when it's rolled up, push it back to the fence.

Ah so I'm not the only one! Yah I just purchased those legs like 2 weeks ago so don't want to have to send them back and order different stuff.

I'm thinking if I raise those legs so it sits a bit higher if it would help..

Watching this thread with anticipation since we are considering how to work out our similar situation.
My sister gave us her pool cover reel and all the accessories needed and we would like to use it since it is a little bit of a challenge manually pulling it on and off.
I remember her pool. She had it installed/bolted directly to the top rails 1/4 of the way in from the end of her 16 x 32 oval AGP. I remember is being annoying swimming with that thing in the way and I don't want to do the same thing. :sad:
Have to admit we have not come up with a great solution yet. Our thoughts are to put it on posts that are outside the pool at the back end and then have a 3rd post on the side of the pool. Rotate the reel onto the 3rd post when swimming. That would put the reel perpendicular to the other posts, parallel with the long side of the pool and out of the way.
So that is a "pivot" option kimkats refers to. :D

Well tried to get this setup the other day and ran into another issue. Basically the cone I have linked up there not sure how it is intended to be used but when the cover is rolled onto the roller it is way too thick and basically the thing is not high enough to allow the thing to reel off complete the pool before it starts to scrape the deck floor.

So I think I am going to have to raise the reel using 1 1/4" abs pipe this fits inside the cone base, then adapt it to 1 1/2" ABS which is what the reel post holder fits into this way I can raise the whole reel about 6-8" off the ground..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.