Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high bather load

1. Back To Top    #1

high bather load

Water looks great with good chemistry. I am expecting a large load of bathers 10-15 HS kids later this week. Should I Bump FC up prior to the event? Currently keeping it at 5 based on my cya level of 60.

any other suggestions?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: high bather load

5 is your minimum. This means that at 4.9 essentially, you are unprotected. For a CYA of 60, your FC target should be 7 for day to day operations. For a high bather load, I would bring it to about 8 or 8.5, one hour prior to the party.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

As 257WbyMag said, bump to around 8 to 9 right before the party and then check the FC level as soon as practical after the party and raise it a bit above the minimum then as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks will bump it up prior to the party.

I am using 5 as the FC number as the pool calc is saying Goal: 4 to 8 ? 5 seems to be working? I will go to 6 to see what happens!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Kidney painted concrete pool; Hayward super pump, Hayward pro Grid 3620 DE filter(using Fiber Clear). No Heater. 250 gallon stand alone Jacuzzi hot tub .

5. Back To Top    #5

With CYA at 60, the recommended level is either 5 to 7, or 5 to 9, depending on which source you are looking at. CYA at 50 is 4 to 8.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

my bad CYA is 50!!!

Al I do know is that I am going thru lots of CL.. Dropping to around 2.5-3 each check then adding to bump up!

I was questioning in an earlier post on cost... Might be cheaper for me to do Cal Hypo.. My CH is 220

60.00 for a 25lb 48%

7. Back To Top    #7

Most of the time the best available price on cal-hypo is more than the best available price on bleach, for the same amount of chlorine added. But sometimes there is a big sale on cal-hypo, or you can't find a good price on bleach, and it goes the other way. That isn't an especially good price for cal-hypo, so I suspect that bleach is less expensive for you, at least if you hunt around for a good price. 25 lbs of 48% is equal to about 16 large (182 oz) jugs of 6% bleach, at $60 gives a break even price of $3.75 per jug of bleach. There are several people on the forum who are finding bleach for around $2.20 for a 182 oz of 6%.

With CYA at 50, I would expect you to lose about half of your FC each sunny day. That will vary somewhat from pool to pool, but something in that area.

8. Back To Top    #8

Great, I am loosing just about that!! Has been warm and Sunny here since opening!