Losing Free Chlorine

Failed OCLT. I am going to clean pump basket, cartridge filter, scrub the inside of the skimmer and door (although looks clean), and look into the pool light. Will continue SLAM.

My pool light is a Pentair Globrite. Should I try and remove it? Think I read somewhere on this forum the way Globrite are made shouldnt have algae form in it. Can anyone confirm?

No need to remove that type of (small LED) light. Just continue with the brushing, vacuuming if needed, and inspecting any other areas that might hide algae. If you have a main drain, you might remove the cover and take a look underneath. No hollow ladders or steps I hope? If you're getting hit by the FL storms and have significant overflow, your CYA might fall a bit which would be welcomed in your situation. Just something to watch.

Reactions: IceShadow
No need to remove that type of (small LED) light. Just continue with the brushing, vacuuming if needed, and inspecting any other areas that might hide algae. If you have a main drain, you might remove the cover and take a look underneath. No hollow ladders or steps I hope? If you're getting hit by the FL storms and have significant overflow, your CYA might fall a bit which would be welcomed in your situation. Just something to watch.
Have steps, and waterfall. Brushed waterfall and steps. Might have to check main drains if issue persists.

It seems like I keep losing anywhere from 1 to 2 ppm per hour. Water is crystal clear, there's two places I am being suspicious about vacuum port, and main drains. I haven't been testing CC, probably something I should be.

It seems like I keep losing anywhere from 1 to 2 ppm per hour.
Hard to know if that's because of algae or also in-part that you are at SLAM level. When we are at SLAM level, there is a higher FC-to-CYA ration, so the extra FC tends to burn-off just a bit faster than normal. You are right to be suspicious. Any area that holds water can hide algae.

Failed OCLT. Did the test twice with 10ml sample, no dilution. However, test 1 came out as 29.5 FC and test 2 gave me 31 FC with .5 CC. What do you guys make of this?

I have time today, so I plan to get in the water and see if I can take the main drains covers off, see if theres anything in there hidden.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking you are in good shape. An error of 0.5 is not much at all at such a high FC level. Since your OCLT was performed at such a high elevated level, we know the potential for error increases either from test variation error or the changes between FC and CYA at higher levels.

I would recommend allowing the FC to fall to about 10-15 ppm. Shouldn't take but a day or two. Consider running another OCLT at that FC range. It might provide better stability and accuracy. If you pass you'll have the peace of mind to know you are algae free. If you fail the OCLT at that FC of 10-15, then you know you still have some work to do.

Reactions: surferboricua
I'm thinking you are in good shape. An error of 0.5 is not much at all at such a high FC level. Since your OCLT was performed at such a high elevated level, we know the potential for error increases either from test variation error or the changes between FC and CYA at higher levels.

I would recommend allowing the FC to fall to about 10-15 ppm. Shouldn't take but a day or two. Consider running another OCLT at that FC range. It might provide better stability and accuracy. If you pass you'll have the peace of mind to know you are algae free. If you fail the OCLT at that FC of 10-15, then you know you still have some work to do.
Great suggestion. I will do that and perform another OCLT. Thanks!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Took a reading now at night and am at 24 FC, havent added any LC today except for early morning before Texas Splash suggestion. Letting FC drift down to 11-15 FC to then OCLT see if SLAM was a success, as suggested.

Reactions: IceShadow and Oly
Success! OCLT Passed, CC at 0.5 and crystal clear water! Took a bit more than expected for FC to come down to below 15 levels, so forgive I didn't post an update earlier. I greatly appreciate the help you guys provided in this SLAM journey.

My personal takeaway, when SLAMming get CYA down lower if possible to avoid having to do so at much higher FC levels. Testing at higher FC levels, results can be not as accurate. If SLAMMing at higher CYA/FC levels, might have to allow FC to come down to levels of around 10-15 to do final OCLT.

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.