high bather load

Lowertc

May 24, 2010
CT.
Water looks great with good chemistry. I am expecting a large load of bathers 10-15 HS kids later this week. Should I Bump FC up prior to the event? Currently keeping it at 5 based on my cya level of 60.

any other suggestions?

257WbyMag

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Denton, TX
5 is your minimum. This means that at 4.9 essentially, you are unprotected. For a CYA of 60, your FC target should be 7 for day to day operations. For a high bather load, I would bring it to about 8 or 8.5, one hour prior to the party.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
As 257WbyMag said, bump to around 8 to 9 right before the party and then check the FC level as soon as practical after the party and raise it a bit above the minimum then as well.

Lowertc

May 24, 2010
CT.
Thanks will bump it up prior to the party.

I am using 5 as the FC number as the pool calc is saying Goal: 4 to 8 ? 5 seems to be working? I will go to 6 to see what happens!

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
With CYA at 60, the recommended level is either 5 to 7, or 5 to 9, depending on which source you are looking at. CYA at 50 is 4 to 8.

Lowertc

May 24, 2010
CT.
my bad CYA is 50!!!

Al I do know is that I am going thru lots of CL.. Dropping to around 2.5-3 each check then adding to bump up!

I was questioning in an earlier post on cost... Might be cheaper for me to do Cal Hypo.. My CH is 220

60.00 for a 25lb 48%

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Most of the time the best available price on cal-hypo is more than the best available price on bleach, for the same amount of chlorine added. But sometimes there is a big sale on cal-hypo, or you can't find a good price on bleach, and it goes the other way. That isn't an especially good price for cal-hypo, so I suspect that bleach is less expensive for you, at least if you hunt around for a good price. 25 lbs of 48% is equal to about 16 large (182 oz) jugs of 6% bleach, at $60 gives a break even price of $3.75 per jug of bleach. There are several people on the forum who are finding bleach for around $2.20 for a 182 oz of 6%.

With CYA at 50, I would expect you to lose about half of your FC each sunny day. That will vary somewhat from pool to pool, but something in that area.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
B Testing and Balancing Your Water 10
A Just Getting Started 4
R Just Getting Started 13

Other Threads of Interest