Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning Solution For DE Filter With Fingers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning Solution For DE Filter With Fingers?

Hey folks,

Just cleaning out my Hayward EC-65a DE Filter (it's the type with the fingers).

Last season I had bought some filter cleaner solution. Just noticed that the instructions say that they clean Sand, Cartridge, and DE filters, however on the instructions for the DE filters it only mentions Grids. Is there any chance this solution could be damaging to the fingers in my filter, or is it all the same? There's no active ingredient listed.

Alternatively, is there something I should use instead? Dishwasher detergent or something?

Thanks
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning Solution For DE Filter With Fingers?

The best thing to clean DE filters of either kind is a solution made from one cup of automatic dishwasher detergent for every five gallons of water. Open up and clean the filter normally, then soak the grids/fingers overnight in the detergent mixture, then rinse everything off and re-assemble.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cleaning Solution For DE Filter With Fingers?

Cool! Thanks as always!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain