Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My CYA is high at 200

1. Back To Top    #1

My CYA is high at 200

Just had my pool water tested and my CYA is high at 200. It was recommended to me to drain my pool completely. I have a 18' round above ground pool. Is this the only solution to lower my CYA?
    16X35 30,000 GALLON PLASTER MOUNTAIN LAKE WITH DE FILTER BUILT 1987

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA too HIGH?

Quote Originally Posted by glendeza
    Just had my pool water tested and my CYA is high at 200. It was recommended to me to drain my pool completely. I have a 18' round above ground pool. Is this the only solution to lower my CYA?
    Who tested that and told you it was at 200? From reading on this site, the only way to remove cya right away is to drain.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA too HIGH?

You don't need to completely drain the pool, just mostly. Leaving 3" to 4" of water in the pool will help keep anything from shifting and make the whole process a little safer.

No CYA test is especially precise at high CYA levels. So your actual CYA level might be a lower or higher.

You should also think about how the CYA level got that high, probably from the use of trichlor tablets, and change your practices so you don't have the same problem again next year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: My CYA is high at 200

glendeza, Welcome to TFP.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends where you live and how much money you have to spend. There are some fortunate areas that have someone to do reverse osmosis on pool water. You end up with essentially distilled water, without distilling it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Info on Reverse Osmosis, check signature...