Census Poll on Intex Users

HeatherChampaggne said:
Those sand filters are cool! How much do they run? LOL And what it the yellow thing on the wall there?

The yellow thing on the wall is the magnetic light by Intex. The light works great too. It really lights up the pool at night. I was worried about the sand filter being just another inadequate pump from Intex. Boy was I wrong. This pump is great. I bought the pump off of ebay for $250 delivered. I recommend this pump for any of the larger Intex pools. The hookup is straight forward and had no issues with installation.

Mark

HeatherChampaggne said:
alright so if i get this sand filter pump next year ... I can run it with my 1500 GPH pump? Can I also find a heater? (electrical?) If so lead me to it. Now I am gearing up for next year already! LOL

You will not need to run your 1500 GPH pump with the sand filter. There will be no increase of performance. Save the 1500 GPH pump just in case the sand filter/pump breaks down. That is what I'm doing with mine. I don't have a heater so I don't know where to find one. Sorry.

Mark

oh i am confused now... in that picture didnt you have your intex pump too? ah i hope i can figure this heating situation out before next summer. It gets cold here at night... it be nice to heat it to about 80.... lol

pump.jpg

Whats that other little machine ? LOL I thought it was you pump that came with the pool!

HeatherChampaggne said:
oh i am confused now... in that picture didnt you have your intex pump too? ah i hope i can figure this heating situation out before next summer. It gets cold here at night... it be nice to heat it to about 80.... lol

pump.jpg

Whats that other little machine ? LOL I thought it was you pump that came with the pool!

That little thing by the pool is the Intex SWG (Saltwater Chlorine Generator), not a pump.

Mark

rghilliard said:
crookm11, that is a nice looking setup you have there. Is that gravel around the pool?

I really want that filter too, but I guess I'll have to hold off for now.

The area around my pool is sand. I took the top layer of sod out from where the pool was going to go. I then put in a metal garden flower bed border from Home Depot. I put the border in the ground and leveled it all the way around. I then covered the ground with weed a barrier cloth. The last part was filling the rest of the way with sand. Since the border was level I just filled to the top of the border and packed the sand down.

Mark

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crookm11 said:
HeatherChampaggne said:
Those sand filters are cool! How much do they run? LOL And what it the yellow thing on the wall there?

The yellow thing on the wall is the magnetic light by Intex. The light works great too. It really lights up the pool at night. I was worried about the sand filter being just another inadequate pump from Intex. Boy was I wrong. This pump is great. I bought the pump off of ebay for $250 delivered. I recommend this pump for any of the larger Intex pools. The hookup is straight forward and had no issues with installation.

Mark

The Intex Lights are on clearance at Walmart. (that is if you can find them in a store near you) for 35.00. Just an FYI!!

mcoonan said:
crookm11 said:
HeatherChampaggne said:

Mark

The Intex Lights are on clearance at Walmart. (that is if you can find them in a store near you) for 35.00. Just an FYI!!

Target now has them on clearance, 29.95.

We love our Intex Pool. Inexpensive and fun for everyone. It started getting a little cold here at night so we pickup a small Hayward natural gas heater, best $650 I've ever spent. We now run the pool up to 100 degrees at night for the adults, it's just a large Spa. By noon the next day it's in the high 80's for kids. The heater burns 100,000 btu's per hour. Our rate is 72 cents per therm (equal to 100,000 btu's) so it cost about a three dollar a day to it now. It's will cost more as it gets colder but we'll be pulling it down for winter in the next couple weeks. Currently we can go from 80 degrees to around 96-99 in five hours. The pools maintain around 80-85 degrees in the summer with just the blue bubble wrap solar cover.

We had a small 10' by 30" Intex pool earlier this summer that we got last year on clearance from target for $30. Now my three year old started swimming under water in it July. So I wanted to take advantage of her new skill and got here a bigger pool. We're only running at around 32" inches (8" low) right now so she can stand in it. Had to cut lower intake and return hose to pull this off. Thankfully the SWG combo came with all the extra part to pull this off.

Thanks jst0656 for posting the pictures and youtube video of the sand filter. I currently running the heater off the stock pump and have a Intex 2010 SWG Pump/filter combo. Now I'm just going to run the Intex Sand Filter/pump combo, then the heater and than the stand alone SWG. Anyone looking for a 2010 Intex 2000 gph SWG Pump/filter combo?

I'll post some pictures and video shortly.

http://www.youtube.com/divemasterphil

HI - some questions for all of you Intex owners. I have a 15' x 48" round metal-frame Intex pool with a 1500 gph pump. I just bought an Intex model 8110 saltwater system (this is just the chlorine generator only) so I will be using my old pump. My questions are : What is everyones' opinion on these systems ? If I now have chlorine in the pool (it has been up for about 4 months) : should I let the chlorine level drop before adding the salt and installing this unit ? And : basically any other advice or opinions or etc. about installing and using this system. Thanks - - - - BILL

bill022572 said:
HI - some questions for all of you Intex owners. I have a 15' x 48" round metal-frame Intex pool with a 1500 gph pump. I just bought an Intex model 8110 saltwater system (this is just the chlorine generator only) so I will be using my old pump. My questions are : What is everyones' opinion on these systems ? If I now have chlorine in the pool (it has been up for about 4 months) : should I let the chlorine level drop before adding the salt and installing this unit ? And : basically any other advice or opinions or etc. about installing and using this system. Thanks - - - - BILL

Hi Bil :wave: l, I love my Intex SWG. :party: The SWG is added to help maintain your current chlorine level. It is OK to add the SWG and salt with chlorine already in the pool. No need to lower your level. You just need to make sure you add the correct amount of salt to the pool before turning the SWG on. The SWG only runs once every 24 hours so you need to figure out how long to run the SWG to keep your pool at the correct FC amount for your given CYA level. As with all pools there is a certain amount of FC loss during the day to to sunlight thats why you need to know your CYA level. I run my SWG at night to bring my FC back up for the next day. This is how I run mine and may not be the correct way but it works for me. Example on what I'm saying (numbers are for the example only): During the day the FC loss is 4ppm and your maintained taget FC is 6ppm. In the evening you check the pool FC and it is 6ppm (right on target). You know your daily FC loss is 4ppm so you want to run the SWG at night just long enough to bring your next days FC to about 10ppm before the sun starts to shine on the pool. Now if you know there is going to be a heavy swimmer load you can add just a little bit of bleach to the pool to raise the FC level. That is it!!! :party:

P.S. Make sure you get a realy good test kit, it is money well spent.

crookm11 said:
Good morning TFP!!!

I would like to share my latest project with everyone. Added a thru-wall skimmer and upgraded the plumbing for the main drain and skimmer so they can work together. I used 2" pipe and reduced to 1.25" pipe for the main drain and skimmer. Please follow the pictures below.

Enjoy.
1. pic of parts used for project.
19.jpg

2. Waterway Flo-Pro II Standard Mouth Long Throat Skimmer #560-D0A60S and pic of Intex drain valve.
20.jpg

21.jpg

3. 2" fitting added to the Sand Filter Pump.
22.jpg

23.jpg

4. Fittings put together for Skimmer and Drain.
24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

5. All fittings and ball joints together and test fitted on pump.
28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

6. Pics of plumbing finished on pool. (Ball joints are used to control the suction from the skimmer and drain).
31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Copied this from another thread I started.

well, after crookm11's post a few months back, i for one am ready for pool season! i'm looking to do my setup exactly the same way. great idea! it's time to hear from all the great intex owners about the upcoming pool season and all the great ideas everyone has or is going to do to make this seasons pool experience the best ever! everyone chime in and lets get the ball, i mean, the pool rolling! :wave: :party: :whoot: :cheers:

MrsFusion said:
Mark, how did the thru the wall skimmer work for you?
The thru-wall skimmer works AWSOME!!! The liner holds the skimmer just fine. I'm in the process of putting in a bigger Intex pool this year. 24' x 52" Ultra Frame. I will be adding the thru-wall skimmer to the new pool and will post the process of mounting it.
I will also be hard plumbing the pump/filter to the pool. I really dislike hoses. This thread shows my new custom Intex adapter I made out of PVC pipe. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.