Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filters

OK, I have read that adding DE powder to sand filters help the filtering process. Is there anything Cartridge owners can do to increase their filtering efficiency?
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

2. Back To Top    #2
    A cartridge already starts out being a great filter. Still, it can be improved at least a little, at least acording to the manufacturer of the products sold to do just that. Cellulose fiber products, such as CF-138 or Fiber Clear are supposed to improve the filtering of a cartridge filter (or DE or sand). You have to add more each time the cartridge is cleaned and it isn't cheap. Some people say it is great, most don't bother.

Also, a few cartridge filters are designed to take a little DE powder, but many cartridges will be ruined by DE powder. Don't try DE unless your filter manual recommends it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Some people have reported good results by usind a chitosan based clarifier (Such as SeaKlear) with a cartridge filter. I tried it and personally did not notice a difference. (But then again, when the pool sparkles how much clearer can it get? )

4. Back To Top    #4

My PB recommended SeaKlear at start-up to clear cloudiness. It usually helps clear cloudy water within 24 hours. I don't use it regularly - only if the water gets a little cloudy and my test numbers are otherwise OK.

Chris

5. Back To Top    #5

My PB recommended SeaKlear at start-up to clear cloudiness. It usually helps clear cloudy water within 24 hours. I don't use it regularly - only if the water gets a little cloudy and my test numbers are otherwise OK.

Chris