? about adding DE to sand filter

JMarch

Jan 25, 2010
Sometimes to get extra polished, crystal clear water I backwash the filter and then add about 2-3 cups of DE to the skimmer and monitor the pressure. Works like a charm- especially after heavy rains, heavy pollen, increased bather load, also seems to clear up "sunscreen cloudiness". Other than having to closely monitor for pressure spike, are there any other concerns or contraindications?

My reasoning for occasionally adding DE- basically, dirty sand filters better than cleaner, newly backwashed sand because then it's able to trap smaller and smaller particles, but usually it takes a long time for my sand to get dirty enough to increase the pressure 5-10 PSI. In order to prevent channeling of the sand, I try to backwash about every 7-10 days. Adding some DE is like adding "clean dirt" to the filter to increase its filtration surface area.

Just wondering if this is a good practice or if it shouldn't be done.

mtw said:
what should pressure guage read normally? mine is always between 9-10 psi on a hayward sand filter ,for a 24' above ground.
mike

Depends on variables individual to each pool and hardware. Whatever you get with normal operation on a clean filter is usually it.

If you want to try this, assuming your equipment is all sized properly, do a good backwash, note the pressure then add DE until you get a 1 psi rise. That's it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.