2019 Spring Opening

Well done...even using CalHypo and lower strength bleach! A little unconventional (by TFP methods) but its working well for you.
Please add your test kit to your signature. My first thought when I read your first post was "I wonder which test kit they're using??"
Last comment....any gators come up from the river there...?? <gulp!>

Maddie :flower:

Day 9

This morning my FC levels were well below shock levels since I didn’t check it yesterday evening or add more chlorine last night. I added enough cal-hypo to raise the FC back to shock levels, 11ppm, even though it was short lived. When I got home from work the FC levels were low again. This was probably because the sun burned off the chlorine due to CYA levels being so low and non-existent. I will probably start supplementing with tri-chlor to slowly raise my CYA along with FC levels.

Due to the advice on this forum I was also able to diagnose and fix a suction side leak that was causing air to develop in my pumps basket. It has had this small leak since I inherited the pool but I only noticed it this year since I added a 2 speed pump. I noticed after running it on low speed that the water levels in the strainer basket would get really low. After doing a search on the forum i was able to diagnose the problem and find the solution. I added a fresh coat of pvc pipe cement to my suction side connections and that fixed the problem immediately and my pump no longer looks like boiling water.

It’s looking better everyday. I’ve been with this pool long enough to know that it won’t resolve itself overnight and consistency is the key to getting over the hump. I’m not over the hump yet but getting closer everyday.

F4094FE3-54A5-4942-946D-592EAAD40331.jpeg

I’m using the TF-100 test kit.

Reactions: splashpad
Day 11
F7AA3334-7BE1-4ACB-BDC9-937FDA1C430B.jpeg

Here are my numbers:
FC - 11
CC - 0
CH - 180
TA - 70
CYA - 0
PH - N/A

I added trichlor tabs today to start to slowly raise CYA levels and add to FC levels. I also plan to switch back to liquid chlorine from cal hypo tomorrow for the bulk of my chlorine to finish out the next few days of my SLAM.

Last edited:
That is the transition to the deep end. I can’t wait until I can see the Polaris and the main drain in the deep end. There’s improvement each day in the water clarity. Still running my pump on low 24/7 until it clears.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is the transition to the deep end. I can’t wait until I can see the Polaris and the main drain in the deep end. There’s improvement each day in the water clarity. Still running my pump on low 24/7 until it clears.

Day 16
73BBDCA4-B333-447F-ADD0-F749E12CD8F6.jpeg
The pool is almost there. It continues to clear everyday and I can see the main drain at the bottom of the deep end. The pollen has been heavy and it hasn’t helped, but the pool has kept on trucking towards clear. I should be in the clear by Saturday.

Since I am close to the end I started using tri-chlor tabs to help raise the CYA levels while also adding to the FC levels. I also started adding enough stabilizer to increase the CYA levels to 40 ppm. Normally I would stay at 40 ppm for the duration of the summer, but I plan on adding a SWG within the next week. So I will have to increase my CYA levels beyond that.

Looks like my Ph is a little low so I’ll have to add some Borax to raise it. I’ll probably wait until the pool is clear before tackling my Ph levels and before I start adding salt to the pool.

My current numbers:

FC - 7
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 70
CH - 180
CYA - 20
Salt - 1600

Reactions: EdKuhn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.