2017 Opening (NO SWAMP THIS YEAR!!!) BUt........

starsfan33

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2014
Nevada, TX
UPDATE:

Its been a few weeks ago since I posted this and I have an update. I filed a warranty claim and Wilbar (the manufacture) is taking responsibility and covering the pool wall as defective under the warranty. GREAT NEWS! Or is it???

So they will cover the pool wall, and send me a new wall **FREE** under the warranty, but they are not responsible for shipping and handling. So basically, I'm going to have to pay roughly $478.00 to get my new **FREE** (covered by the warranty) pool wall. HUH?????

not to mention the cost of having the pool drained, disassembled, re-leveled, installed and re-filled!!! For me to get their manufacturing defect replaced for free under the warranty, is going to cost me an arm and a leg. I'm laughing to keep from crying!

Again, this is surface rust only on the outside wall. I can put Rust-Oleum on it, and coat it to keep it safe from rusting through...but it would be nice to just have the new pool wall. What to do, what to do?!?!?!

What would YOU do????

thanks,
Steve

------------------------------------------------
Ok so I am getting some rust at the bottom of the pool wall under the skimmer and return area. This pool is almost, but not yet 3 years old. I have filed a warranty claim but I am pretty sure they are not going to cover this. this will be the last swim season with the current linner as I will be replacing it next year but I want to protect and fix the rust issue I'm currently having before it gets way out of control. thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Here is a picture:

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Husband says a light sanding followed by Rustolum paint. Is there any way you can get the area there drier?

What I did is dig down 3 or so inches and put gravel in the hole. I then put a stepping stone over the gravel with a slight angle away from the pool wall. I do NOT allow the stone to touch the wall though. I have this all under the skimmer and return and out a ways all around.

Kim:kim:

I am pretty sure that it is just surface rust. Our yard has terrible run off from a field behind our house so when we get a good rain storm, our yard can stand in water for several days. this causes that area of the pool to also be sitting in standing water. I had not really thought about that until now, but that area of the pool likely has spent a lot of time with standing water covering it. I suppose it is possible that it is rusting from the inside out, but I don't really believe that to be the case. We will know for sure after this summer though, because I am going to drain it, and pull the liner, so I can have the pool re-leveled, and a new liner installed for next season.

what can I do in the mean time? I like the idea of the sanding and coating. will it work long term?

UPDATE:

Its been a few weeks ago since I posted this and I have an update. I filed a warranty claim and Wilbar (the manufacture) is taking responsibility and covering the pool wall as defective under the warranty. GREAT NEWS! Or is it???

So they will cover the pool wall, and send me a new wall **FREE** under the warranty, but they are not responsible for shipping and handling. So basically, I'm going to have to pay roughly $478.00 to get my new **FREE** (covered by the warranty) pool wall. HUH?????

not to mention the cost of having the pool drained, disassembled, re-leveled, installed and re-filled!!! For me to get their manufacturing defect replaced for free under the warranty, is going to cost me an arm and a leg. I'm laughing to keep from crying!

Again, this is surface rust only on the outside wall. I can put Rust-Oleum on it, and coat it to keep it safe from rusting through...but it would be nice to just have the new pool wall. What to do, what to do?!?!?!

What would YOU do????

thanks,
Steve

$478 is ridiculous for shipping. I'd tell them so and see what you can do to get it down to a minimal cost...then take it and save for a rainy day. In the meantime...as mentioned above - sand, spray and go on enjoying the pool!

Is that pool wall out of the bottom track? It sure does look like it is.

Is that pool wall out of the bottom track? It sure does look like it is.

Hey Casey! How are you doing? ;-)

No, I have checked and double checked, the wall is in the track. the picture just makes it look really odd because of the way the ground is cracking and shifting. this is going to be the last summer I'm going to be able to use the pool before I have to have someone come out and re-level the pool. And, since I'm going to do that, I'm going to do a liner change and get that liner you have! So wish I had gotten it to start with! love that liner and I have been kicking myself every since I got my pool that I didn't see that first! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE:

What would YOU do????

thanks,
Steve

Ok so I am getting some rust at the bottom of the pool wall under the skimmer and return area. This pool is almost, but not yet 3 years old. I have filed a warranty claim but I am pretty sure they are not going to cover this. this will be the last swim season with the current linner as I will be replacing it next year but I want to protect and fix the rust issue I'm currently having before it gets way out of control. thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Here is a picture:

Thanks,
Steve

My sister had the same issue with her 8 year old Vogue pool. Suffered a catastrophic wall failure and after many pictures and emails back and fort they agreed to replace the wall, uprights, and track but they would not cover shipping. Shipping was going to cost $600, so she told them to forget it, as she would still have to replace the liner, pump, and filter and install everything on her dime. She decided it wasn't worth it.

If the surface is not all bubbled up then it probably is just surface rust that can be sanded, primed, and painted. Is your pool partially buried? If not I would pull all the soil away from the pool so the track is exposed and fill that area in with river rock. River rock will drain well and keep moisture away from the base of the pool, so no more rust issues develop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.