20 year old heater deconstructed

Jan 9, 2010
Spring Texas
I had a 20+ year old Teledyne Lars heater. I don’t know how much it weighs but it’s a lot 175lbs? I just replaced it and the trash guys kindly refused to take the old one. So I took it apart to piecemeal Into acceptable weights. It had about 100lbs of some kind of insulation which I broke up and trashed. I hope it wasn’t asbestos. It also had copper heat exchangers. You probably don’t see that anymore either. If anyone knows the weight and the composition of that insulation stuff I would like to know. 101998101999102000

That is all why the Lars heater lasted you 20 years. That is 2X - 3X what many others last.

Many heaters today still have copper heat exchangers.

Reactions: rdeputy
rdeputy - what did you replace your heater with? I have what appears to be the same 20 year old heater you had, and it is also disintegrating. So many bad reviews on current heaters and I'm struggling to find a replacement that will hopefully last another 20 years, but at least get me close to 10.

I just got a Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 from Hydropool.com in Dallas. $2.159.00 no tax no shipping to Houston I have an EasyTouch controller so I wanted to be consistent. But the teledyne lars worked perfectly I was getting afraid because the top half was disintegrating also.

I am disappointed by the short life span. It’s not something that is used very much like a pump and has zero rotating parts. I don’t see why 20 years is not possible

Compare the construction of the MasterTemp to your old Lars. The Lars heat exchanger is much more robust and heavier. The MasterTemp does not have all that thick insulation. The MasterTemp has much more complex electronics controlling its blower which gives it more parts to fail.

You can buy a Raypak - ASME Pool/Spa Heaters 206A-406A for about 50% more then your MasterTemp that has many features that will extend its life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.