2 years of planning and it’s finally DONE in Tampa!

So it will be like your inspiration pic on the front page with the safety fence between the house and pool with the screen cage acting as the barrier from outside kids. NICE! Will you also have alarms on the doors and windows leading to the pool?

Kim:kim:

Well that was quick! I was hoping to see a video of a wrecking ball in a pool or at least one hit caught on film ;-)
I love the contrast of blue tiles and the travertine, also paying close attention to your finish and how it turns out. We were looking at close to the same mix.

This is the best chicken scratch I can come up with the kitchen area is completely enclosed and the layout of the fence completely closes off any way to get to the pool from the house without having to go outside, walk to a screen door, and reach the handle. We will not be using door alarms. Local code allows either or, but I feel that a physical barrier will be more effective than a button that the little genius can reach up and hit with his little broom or mop to get out.

068C1682-D0AB-4B9E-8190-05A3088DE2FA.jpeg

Our son will be 19 months old next week, but he has been in swimming classes/lessons since he was 2 months old. He certainly cannot swim on his own but he does a decent job kicking his feet and can climb out of a pool on his own if he is near steps or a bench. I have no doubt if he wandered into the pool he would drown though, so we wanted to limit all access points to the pool.

We got our first quote back from the pool finishers. I have another call out to one more company, but we were told that it would likely not be possible to use them since he tends to only do work for contractors. Anyway, feel free to let me know what yall think.

We are going to take the $600 out for the pool start up as we will do that on our own. I am unsure of what the $90 charge is for "install start up tech on initial water fill, helps protect discoloration, and calcium plaster dust) and if we really need it.

We will need to add $850 to the quote (Total with touch of glass and aqua blue would be $12,034) because aqua blue is an upgrade color.

I owe it to my wife to get the glass beads since alot of the things she has wanted we have gone against for either cost measures or we both think that our tastes are better than the others (mine are way better though, if you are wondering :laughblue:

I may call another local NPT applicator just to get a price comparison and see how far apart they are.

Untitled by T V, on Flickr

Reactions: galowbraw
$90 charge is for "install start up tech on initial water fill, helps protect discoloration, and calcium plaster dust

This is something they add to the water and is a good idea as it is one of those "do to be on the safe side". It can help with all kinds of things. Now does it cost $90? I am betting not. Look over the link I shared with you and see what they say about the start up stuff to add to new water and go from there.

I like that you are making sure your little man is safe! Good job!

Well the decking was finished today. Took about 3 days but a day and a half of that was nothing but heavy rains. The pitch in the deck is pretty bad, but there is nothing we could do about it because we had to follow the existing pitch of the patio. We also found where the mistake was that threw the entire back portion of the deck out of square. On the plans, part of the wall was listed at 19'6". We never went out to re measure any of the numbers on the plan, we just assumed that the measurements of the house were correct. Well, we went out and happened to measure part of the french drain today and came up with 19 feet exactly. So we started to look at the plans and then take some measurements and found out where the mistake came. Turns out the house is not out 6 inches after all. The plans called for the decking on the west side of the house to be 12'5", when in reality it should have been 13'. Live and learn. When the second deck guy came out to try and solve our footer problem he ended up noticing it but we doubted him and said leave it as is in a way.

So when people say to measure and re-measure, that includes everything, not just the pool measurements. (n)

At the end of the day i do not think people will notice unless I point it out, but its definitely noticeable.

Travertine is Ivory in the french pattern. We will be sealing it next week but we will not be adding an enhancer because we like the look of it dry better than wet. The pictures were taken right after they sanded it so it was still wet, and of course, it rained shortly after that.

Child safety fence is scheduled for monday morning and the measuring for the screen enclosure will be this friday or next monday depending on weather.

I will be calling the pool finishing company tomorrow to see if i can talk him into only hand broadcasting the glass beads as opposed to mixing 3 bags per batch and having half of it be covered deep in the plaster, which to me is a waste. Id rather do 6 bags hand troweled in, but i have a feeling he will tell me that there will be more of a chance that the beads will fall out doing it that way. Ugh. Almost done!

by T V, on Flickr

Reactions: galowbraw
That shirt was made for him!! He looks like he KNOWS that is a no-no but he does not care! You need to send that pic to the maker of the saw! TOO CUTE!

Oh and on to the pool...........I can't see any problems.........so it is all good!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tampatommy what is going on with that downspout I see. You may want to address that with the contractor. We have couple like that but I asked for an interior deck drain which carries the water under our patio in a separate 4 inch hose :cheers:
Other than that I am jealous of your decking :cool:

We were hoping that downspout would have disappeared. We are running the 7" gutter the entire length of the back of the house. I think its only about 30 feet, and i wanted the gutter pitched so that only one downspout was needed. Turns out they said that i need two downspouts, so that one will have to stay. I am just going to leave it as is. Most water will run into the deck drain and the rest can run down the deck.

Equipment was set yesterday, and holy Crud, what an amazing job our plumber did from start to finish. Completely reasonably priced as well. The pad is an absolute work of art. I was finally able to get some pictures of the deck when it wasnt wet, unfortunately ding dong photobombed one of them :laughblue:

Down to the last few weeks. Measurements for the new enclosure are monday and safety fence gets installed monday. In the next week and a half we are going to have the prep guy come out before the enclosure goes up so i have less cleaning to do to the actual enclosure from concrete dust from grinding the pool and what not.

Spoke to the pool finish company yesterday. I did not want to have to pay $600 for someone to add chemicals and brush my pool, but as i suspected, if i cut the start up out of it, they will not give us a warranty, which personally, i find is BS, especially since i will be keeping a log of everything that is done. He came down to $450 for the start up, which im not willing to void a warranty over $450, thats just silly, so it is what it is.

As far as hand casting the glass beads, he said they can add 2 bags per batch and then hand cast the third bag per batch, but the glass will only be on the horizontal surfaces, such as the steps, benches, and flooring. The more i think about it i have a feeling it will not be very even and i am too neurotic to have areas where there is more of a concentration than not, so we will just add 3 bags to the mix and be done with it. He said that they do a very good job bringing the glass to the surface.

Spoke to him about adding calcium chloride, and he was like wow you have really done your homework! I told him if im spending $12,000 on a pool finish, i want to know everything that is going on and that it is all correctly done. He said the most he has had to add is 3 cups in a 1200lb mix which is below the 2% allowable.

Still waiting for the misses to decide on a color. I am pretty close to getting her to agree on Aqua White with the cobalt glass beads at a 2:1 ratio to the light blue glass beads. With the pool enclosure, the pool will have quite a bit of natural light cut out of it compared to being an uncovered pool, and i think that going with aqua white will give her the shade she is looking for without being too dark, but we will see in the next few days.

Anyway, grab a drink and drool over the pictures of my equipment pad. Lord knows i still do! I went a little crazy with the labeling but I had to make it mommy and grandparent proof.

If anyone needs a good plumber, D.A Jones is who you need to use. Contact me for his info if youd like.

And last but not least :oops:

Dude you cannot over label! Now I am going to up it and have you print out a picture of your set up so you can write on it what is what AND what happens if you turn those wonderful levers this way or that. Make a pool care folder so anyone can figure out how to warm up the spa for your little one to play in while they are there baby sitting!

When you said ding dong photo bombed a pic I was expecting to see a different part of his body LOL KIDS! Got of love them!

That all looks awesome!!! Gurrrrrrrrr on them forcing you to use their start up service AND making you pay for it.......REALLY??? You would think that would be part of the total price you are paying for the pool if it tied into the plaster warranty! OH well....at least you got them to come down some. Just know you can and SHOULD test behind them and do your own brushing. They tend to come once a week so push things so far off level in hopes it will still be there when they come back in a week :( We can help you adjust as needed.

Safety fence is up, screen enclosure was measured and screen company got a check that was just shy of 5 digits. And i still owe them :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

The safety fence took probably 6 hours but everything is perfect. There is a few inch gap on one of the panels by the outdoor kitchen, but it was intentionally left there because of the stacked stone that will be added around the outside of the kitchen and column.

We meet with the pool finishers tomorrow to make a final decision and put the deposit down. Still have not decided on a color. It is either aqua white or aqua blue with 3 bag mix of touch of glass or puerto rico blend.

The yard was marked and flagged for utilities yesterday and the LP tank should be going in on Thursday. Home stretch!

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.