2-year-old Pentair Intelliflo Noticably Louder (Video) - Should I be concerned?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
I have a Pentair Intelliflo that's about 2 years old. I run it 24/7 on 1400 rpm which has worked out very well so far. I live in SC so not brutally cold weather in the winter. I became very accustomed to how it sounded, which was very quiet at low RPM. It has now become quite a bit louder and I'm wondering if that's a sign that something is not right or will go out prematurely. Here is a video. I appreciate any feedback from those that know much more than I about the inner workings of these pumps.

Thanks!
Robert

Robert,

It is either a bearing or the fan.. I would look at the fan first,, Make sure the fan blade is not touching anything.

I have three of them running 24/7.. one for about 8 years, one for about 6 years, and one for about 5 years... If they sound different, it is not enough for me to notice yet. Of course I am deaf as a stone.. :mrgreen: But I can still hear yours and mine do not sound like that at all...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Robert..

It is at the very back of the motor.. The fan blade is very close to the housing and I have heard of it touching. If you look at the back of the motor you will see a crosshatch cover... with the fan blade behind it.

Jim R.

Thanks again Jim. I will check the fan to rule that out. If it's not that, which I have my doubts about, do you think bearings is the next likely culprit? And if the sound is bearings, is that something I should just wait and see what happens? I would imagine repair for something like that would not be worth it vs. buying a new one.

Robert,

One day I'll have to find the answer to that question myself.. :mrgreen:

If the noise is just different, and not so loud that it bothers you, I would just leave it alone. If this were my pump, and it got so loud that I could hear it run, I would at least explore the options of having a motor shop install new bearings.. If the estimate was over $500 bucks, I would buy a whole new pump..

One thing you need to check is that you do not have water dripping out the hole between the pump and the motor.. It is under the point where the pump and motor mate. It might be a little hard to see depending on your installation.. If you have water leaking there, it will get into your motor and corrode everything making it almost impossible to fix.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.