2 speed switch with analog timer?

calstar

Feb 28, 2014
santa barbara, california
Thinking of getting this pump, 230v, it needs an inline switch at the motor to control the speed. Any reason I can't use it with my existing Intermatic mechanical timer, just wire it in one of legs? I only want to use the timer to turn on the low speed, when I need the high speed I can turn it on manually, so do I still need the additional T206 timer along with my mechanical?
I decided not go digital VS, dual will be fine for me, thinking not as much to go wrong.

RECQqMj.png

basic inline toggle switch
WY0VCHX.png

pics below(screen shots, not me) show the 2 legs and ground coming from the load center, the black leg is connected to the black on the toggle switch after it enters the motor(I don't know if this is coming from a timer circuit but why would it make a difference). The power only goes to the switch through the black leg as the timer settings allows, then it could be manually switched to change speeds.

CyuhSO9.png

dzGpvOE.png

Last edited:
Checked the rebates, Inteliflo VS $50 rebate if installed by "qualified" person, so thats $ loss, SoCalEdison where I live offers no rebates.
I'll gather more info, seems like a higher than normal % of negative reviews on digital vs standard controls, such as receiving not working or crapping out after several months, and again only guaranteed if installed by qualified person.

Cal,

The single most important thing to remember about an 2-speed pump and some kind of automation or timer, is that it must be impossible for you to connect both the low speed and high speed inputs at the same time.. If you do, you will let the magic smoke out and will never be able to get it back in..

It sounds to me like your idea would allow both inputs at the same time, if you made a mistake.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: guinness
Get an Intelliflo or Superflo VS. Check for rebates from your utility.
Cal,

The single most important thing to remember about an 2-speed pump and some kind of automation or timer, is that it must be impossible for you to connect both the low speed and high speed inputs at the same time.. If you do, you will let the magic smoke out and will never be able to get it back in..

It sounds to me like your idea would allow both inputs at the same time, if you made a mistake.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I'm ignorant with regard to 2 speed motors! My confusion is with the pic I show of the toggle being wired in, if the black line is wired like shown in the pic, and coming directly from the load center(with no timer) then the toggle must be in the off(center) position for it not to run, and manually switched to either fast or slow speed, right? So if the black line isn't hot(as if the load center breaker was open) then the toggle wouldn't work on either fast or slow regardless of its position, yes? It seems(again, I plead ignorance) the timer is in effect acting as a switch to open and close power into the toggle, once opened the power would start either speed depending on toggle position, then could be switched manually to the other speed as long as power was on. I certainly may be missing the basics of this, don't want to fry a new pump motor, but I do want to learn more about it. More input appreciated and in the meantime I'll see what I can find.

Cal,

If you plan to use the switch in your pic and just use the timer to control the input to the switch, than that will work fine.. As you said, the switch will only allow either the low speed or high speed to get power, but never both at the same time..

I just misunderstood what you intended to do...

Thanks,

Jim R.

This just happened with an Intermatic PE153 leading to an unhappy ending.

The Pentair SuperFlo VS is $700 and if you're SoCalEdison (where electric is relatively expensive) you'd recoup the $175 difference since you can drop the speed below the 1725 RPM of the dual speed pump during winter. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
This just happened with an Intermatic PE153 leading to an unhappy ending.

The Pentair SuperFlo VS is $700 and if you're SoCalEdison (where electric is relatively expensive) you'd recoup the $175 difference since you can drop the speed below the 1725 RPM of the dual speed pump during winter. Just something to consider.

Yep SCE is pretty expensive. My reservations about the SuperFlo VS digital are based on: over a 10% 1 star rating on Amazon, customers saying it lasted only a few months, I'll be installing myself so 60 day warranty; my feeling digital is not as reliable as standard control, don't know if this true but I get this feeling from reading various reviews and posts here on TFP. Would I need a surge protector with this model?
I'm still not fully decided but leaning towards the 2 speed, I'll read the online manuals for both. A big upside of the VS is I can order on Amazon prime and get in 2 days free shipping, the 2 speed is not available on prime and the various vendors time of delivery is 2-3 weeks. If anyone here has a 2speed Superflo I would like to hear your experiences, good or bad.

thanks, Brian

Reactions: guinness
@OP, last year I helped a friend who lives in a nearby state installed the same model pump shown in your post. He did not order the toggle switch but surprisingly, it came with the shipment (assume YMMV). And yes, you can use your existing intermatic mechanical timer to supply the 230vac the way you described. Line 1 should be connected directly to the pump while Line 2 from the load side of the intermatic goes to the center pin of the toggle switch. You can also use a wire nut to connect the blk pigtail to the center of the switch. Anyway, looks like you wired the pump correctly as shown in the above pics. If in doubt, the pump is shipped with an installation manual for ref.
As an aside, it looks like SCE took down the $200 rebates when purchasing any eligible VS pump. Please bear in mind, at present SCE charges $0.19/Kwh and they will soon bump it to $0.21/Kwh.
It may be worthwhile to visit the link below if you haven't bought the pump yet.
SCE Energy Savings Assistance Program
Pool Pump Replacement:
If you reside in a single-family home with an in-ground pool, with a single-speed pool pump, you may be eligible to receive at no charge an energy-efficient replacement pool pump.

My reservations about the SuperFlo VS digital are based on: over a 10% 1 star rating on Amazon, customers saying it lasted only a few months, I'll be installing myself so 60 day warranty; my feeling digital is not as reliable as standard control, don't know if this true but I get this feeling from reading various reviews and posts here on TFP. Would I need a surge protector with this model?

I can't argue your logic, from what I've read some problems with the SupeFlo are related to water intrusion into the electronics. So a pump cover would help with that. In addition most electronics are susceptible to voltage spikes and a surge protector would mitigate that. For failures in either of these instances it's likely the pump motor is fine, but the electronics are dead. I have both surge protection and a pump cover which does add to the cost, but I figured it's cheap insurance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I double checked and no energy rebates avail at this time. With either pump the outlet/inlet are 1.5", my lines are 2", I assume that using adaptors to 2"(smaller to larger) at the pump will not cause any issues. And yes COd3Sp4c3, I see the 2 speed pump does come with the switch so thanks for the heads up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.