2 PSI meter or larger diameter nat gas run to the heater

macdenewf

Oct 27, 2012
Spring, TX
Morning.
I'm replacing a handy 400 LXI with a Handy 400 JXI. 10 years old...its run its life.
The guy installing the new heater noted that the 3\4" line that the initial pool installer ran is to small and suggested two options.

1. have gas company install a 2 PSI meter and then drop back tot he required pressure with a regulator at the heater
2. install a new 1.25" line.

Either way i'm going to have to do one of the 2 but looking for opinions.
If i have a new meter installed - im hoping the gas company can drop the pressure back to standard before it enters the house....would hate to have to install regulators at all of the devices in the house
And if i install a new line....it's only a 25 foot run and the meter and heater are on the same outside wall...but unable to bury thew new line and it will have to go on the outside of the brick,...which unfortunately means i have to run the line directly behind the heater ( between the heater and the brick of the house ) and i have no idea if that might violate any code.

I plan on trying to get in touch with some in Houston planning department to ask about code but I've found that they really aren't geared up for answering questions at the Houston city planning dept.

What bothers me most about this is that ive looked up the pipe requirements of the current heater ( lxi 400) and it calls out the 1.25" pipe. i didn't try and cheap out when i built the pool, i didn't even know this was an issue till now ...but seems like my pool builder either didn't know the requirement or tried to save a few bucks.....and really - its 25 feet. why not put in the proper line!

Appreciate any thoughts on the most efficiency way yo get back in my hot tub!
Cheers
Mac

UPDATED
there was actually 1 1\4 all the way from the meter to the riser at the heater. It was choked back the 3\4 at the heater riser...so all good.
Sadly i don know how to close a thread but no further action required.
Appreciate the replies...

Last edited:
You need a gas plumber to look at it, not a pool guy.

Also, are you sure the buried line isn’t 1-1/4” and it’s just the riser that is 3/4”? My buried line is 2” diameter but gets necked down to 3/4” at the riser to the heater.

I’m not sure I would change anything until you’re absolutely sure there is a problem.

Reactions: macdenewf
And indeed clearly your old 400k BTU heater ran just fine on a 3/4" line. You could have the installer go ahead and connect the heater to the existing line and then put an manometer on the heater when it is running and see where the pressure actually is, and whether or not it is within tolerance.

Forced to update I would probably just run the bigger gas line if wouldn't be too unsightly, given you cant' bury it that will almost certainly be the least expensive option. If you go the HP route you can add a single regulator where the gas enters the house for all the appliances there but don't know if the gas company will do that for you. I suspect you would need to add that part yourself.

You need a gas plumber to look at it, not a pool guy.

Also, are you sure the buried line isn’t 1-1/4” and it’s just the riser that is 3/4”? My buried line is 2” diameter but gets necked down to 3/4” at the riser to the heater.

I’m not sure I would change anything until you’re absolutely sure there is a problem.
Well. Good news. I dug it up and there actually is 1 1/4 all the way to the heater and a 3/4 inch riser. I take back everything I thought about my original pool builder !

Well. Good news. I dug it up and there actually is 1 1/4 all the way to the heater and a 3/4 inch riser. I take back everything I thought about my original pool builder !

Sounds to me like the installer for your new heater was trying to make some extra “holiday cash” …. almost all residential gas equipment is going to be either a 1/2” or 3/4” connection. So no matter what diameter pipe is buried in the ground or in your walls, the line eventually gets adapted down to mate with the equipment.

Glad to see everything worked out for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.