2 pipes, 1 pump?

TXlogpool

Silver Supporter
Sep 29, 2020
Houston, TX
I've been planning to upgrade to a Pentair 11028 for a while and my old ss pump died last night which solidifies it. I have a waterfall that I rarely use and the dedicated pump on that is old and i'm sure the bearing is mostly shot and possibly worse as it makes a pretty loud screaching sound.

My question, given my setup with a new VS pump for my main filter/heater circuit, would it be possible to branch off from my new pump output to the waterfall output? Would I be able to circulate water through the filter and through the water fall by closing/restricting the valve on the right? Would I be better off since I have a plumbed intake to just replace the waterfall pump separately with a new pump? My thinking was that I could up the RPM's and open the existing valve to the waterfall to get flow through it to not have to deal with another pump. Would i still get good circulation through my filter when doing so?

Any other thoughts?
image1.jpeg

TX,

Should not be much of a problem to just use the one IntelliFlo pump.

If it is just a standard waterfall, then you would not need for the waterfall water to go through the filter.. If it is a shear type waterfall, they can clog easily and need filtered water.

I'd add a Jandy valve and actuator where you now have "Potential plumbing", so you can turn the waterfall on and off with your automation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is your multiport top on backwards?

The blue dot should be backwash.

The green dot should be Filter.

The red arrow points to a tiny bump that should be on the top that lines up with the lower bump.

The multiport should look like the bottom picture.

1632701442409.png
1632701541559.png

Reactions: TXlogpool
It's a DE valve.

It has the sightglass on the side away from the filter.

The sand multiport has the sightglass on the side towards the filter.

Also, note that you can't use a sand filter multiport on a DE filter because the internal structure is different.

DE on the left, sand on the right.

1632745720186.png

Good eye guys! I think i put the handle on backwards when when I changed the o-rings near the spring part. Just FYI, i have a DE filter, that Multiport and filter housing havebeen there since I bought the house and works pretty fine. I should probably pop the handle off and change it back now that I have my system down for a bit to save future confusion! You guys are sharp for noticing.

TX,

Should not be much of a problem to just use the one IntelliFlo pump.

If it is just a standard waterfall, then you would not need for the waterfall water to go through the filter.. If it is a shear type waterfall, they can clog easily and need filtered water.

I'd add a Jandy valve and actuator where you now have "Potential plumbing", so you can turn the waterfall on and off with your automation.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply Jim. I think I will go for it as you mentioned. I also was thinking maybe a Jandy valve would be good to put in there.

I think i put the handle on backwards when when I changed the o-rings near the spring part.
I think that the top is on backwards.

The word "Backwash" should be close to the filter.

The word "Filter" should be away from the filter as shown below.

The front of the handle should correspond to the hole in the internal diverter.

1632772123226.png
1632772317395.png
The front of the handle should line up with the hole inside.

Also, note that you are missing a screw.

It's a DE valve.

It has the sightglass on the side away from the filter.

The sand multiport has the sightglass on the side towards the filter.

Also, note that you can't use a sand filter multiport on a DE filter because the internal structure is different.

DE on the left, sand on the right.

View attachment 374420
I guess duh ferret. I was looking at the ports and only saw one on the right side. On second look there is a port behind that one as well. I know about the sight glass, I thaught for a second maybe there was another pentair multiport i didnt know about. But i see the second port hidden behind the first one now.

Your right about not being able the use sand multiports on DE. I've tried spinning the lids around years ago, doesnt work. Whata mess that becomes.

For sure spin that lid around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.