JWilson

Nov 23, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
2 months after initial fill. I’ve been maintaining weekly.

My chlorine is a little weird. FC and TC has held tight, both at 5 ppm until this last week. Here’s the weird part, when they’re not exactly the same it looks like my TC is a bit LOWER than my FC? What am I doing wrong? I haven’t put salt in yet and took out the last puck from the basket probably three weeks ago when it drifted as high as 7.5 (FC). ..

This weeks log says FC is 3 and TC is 2.5

My pH usually measures around 7.8 but has dropped to 7.5 over the last two weeks. Builder told me to shoot for 7.2 with each adjustment, so I’ve been adding 4-8 cups of muriatic acid each week. It’s the only thing I’ve added to the water (other than pucks in the skimmer) until this week when I added 4 lbs of sodium bicarbonate. Rainfall has been plentiful and my TA had dropped from 90 to 60 before adding SB.

When should I add salt? Water temp is probably upper 40s...

thanks for any tips or feedback!

Last edited:
It is not possible for TC (which is FC plus CC) to be less than FC.
I suspect you are not using a FAS-DPD test kit. Get one. What you are using in not accurate.

You can add salt once your pool water is consistently around 60 F.

No, I think it’s DPD Chlorine. Taylor K-2005 Complete? Expiration for R-001 is 10/21

I even got another set of eyes on it who agreed that it looks like FC reads higher than TC. Which I know of course isn’t possible.
R-001 and 002 for FC, then R-003 for TC...

Which reagent would you replace?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.