2-inch PVC warped into heater

Ripple

Bronze Supporter
Aug 11, 2020
North Georgia
Moved from here.
I am digging up this old thread because I have the exact same issue. Did you ever figure out the cause? The heater cool down makes sense but not quite sure why it doesn't happen on the output side? Any advice is appreciated.

I have never replaced PVC before but have been reading about it here trying to get more comfortable. Is it recommended that I replace it as soon as possible? I am assuming it is restricting flow and could cause problems? I have no idea how long it's been like this. I just noticed it yesterday.
IMG_3213.jpgIMG_3211.jpg

Last edited:
That is odd for the collapse to happen on the heater inlet rather than the outlet. I would not have expected the inlet pipe to get hot unless water flowed backwards after the pump was off and the heater was still hot. The check valve on the other side should have prevented back flow. Is that check valve working properly? The picture shows the flap open but does it close when the pump shuts off?

Anyway, heater cool down is a must for not only this but also to extend the life of the heater. CPVC would also help on the inlet and outlet runs. There is a slight restriction the way it is now but it should not be that bad. Has the filter pressure changed much since this happened?

That is odd for the collapse to happen on the heater inlet rather than the outlet. I would not have expected the inlet pipe to get hot unless water flowed backwards after the pump was off and the heater was still hot. The check valve on the other side should have prevented back flow. Is that check valve working properly? The picture shows the flap open but does it close when the pump shuts off?

Anyway, heater cool down is a must for not only this but also to extend the life of the heater. CPVC would also help on the inlet and outlet runs. There is a slight restriction the way it is now but it should not be that bad. Has the filter pressure changed much since this happened?

Thank you for the info. I am pretty new to all of this and only began tracking filter pressure about a month ago. It has not changed significantly since that point in time (actually went down a bit during/after completing my first SLAM). But honestly, I don't know how long the PVC has been like that. I just noticed it yesterday and again am new to the management of my pool. I hope this isn't a dumb question but where is the check valve and how do I check it?

The check valve is at the outlet of your Fusion tab feeder. It is there to protect the heater from the highly acidic stew created by the trichlor in the Fusion thing. You should see if it moves to seal the flow when the pump goes off.

You say you’re new to managing your own pool and that you hadn’t noticed the pipe before.....sooo my question is - could that pipe have always been that way or do you remember it being normal?

If you simply never went to the equipment pad before and never really thought to look at the plumbing, it’s possible it’s always been that way.

You say you’re new to managing your own pool and that you hadn’t noticed the pipe before.....sooo my question is - could that pipe have always been that way or do you remember it being normal?

If you simply never went to the equipment pad before and never really thought to look at the plumbing, it’s possible it’s always been that way.

Thanks for your reply. I thought about the exact same thing......did I never notice it before? I am new to managing my own pool but I have done some light maintenance through the years. It is fairly common for me to be in the equipment pad to empty the pump basket, check the heater or other misc. tasks between pool service visits. I am completely new to the chemical portion and being totally responsible with no service. So to answer you question, I do think I would have noticed but can't say with absolute certainty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.