1st timer, but what do I do now.... disgruntled frog owner hosed by local pool store!

Clarifies are chemical 'glue' I know I wouldn't want that in my filter. Makes you wonder why they say not to use them if you have a cartridge filter?

DE is a powder that gets removed when you backwash. No leftover sticky residue.

I added 4 lb of cya per pool math tonight via the sock method. My fc levels are still bouncing around we tested and corrected several times today. tonight 6 I readjusted for a fc level of 12. PH 7.2 TA 70 CC 0.5. I did see a touch more visibility tonight and my vac didn't have any debris after a full cycle. Fingers crossed I'm over the hump ????

Remember that CYA helps your FC last longer in the water against the sun. So when you didn't have enough CYA in there the sun and any organics in the pool were working swiftly to use up that FC.

You should notice an improvement in FC stability now.

Yip :flower:

Clarifies are chemical 'glue' I know I wouldn't want that in my filter. Makes you wonder why they say not to use them if you have a cartridge filter?

DE is a powder that gets removed when you backwash. No leftover sticky residue.

Clarifiers work by positive and negative bonds, the only negative particle in the water would be the dead organic material. They are not "sticky" at all. As far as not using them in a cartridge filter, I have never herd that, who are "they"? Just to make sure I contacted a pool chemical company for clarification. They said, "Clarifiers are safe to use in cartridge filters, it can depend on what you are trying to remove in the water in terms of whether or not you will have a film on the cartridges. However, in cases, it should easily rinse away."

I added 4 lb of cya per pool math tonight via the sock method. My fc levels are still bouncing around we tested and corrected several times today. tonight 6 I readjusted for a fc level of 12. PH 7.2 TA 70 CC 0.5. I did see a touch more visibility tonight and my vac didn't have any debris after a full cycle. Fingers crossed I'm over the hump ????

I started this season with a zero CYA and started with bleach. I couldn't understand why my chlorine levels wouldn't stay up even after all of the organics were gone. Well, duh! Even with cool water, the sun was stealing my chlorine. I added my CYA and things are getting much better. I wasted a lot of bleach. I've been following this site for three years. I should know better.

Anyway, welcome to TFP to my Kentucky brethren.

Keep in mind that pH readings are not valid with FC over 10. Don't even bother checking until the water is clear and you've allowed your FC to come back down to normal levels.

I am two weeks into a slam. My water is still so cloudy
I passed the over night test but continue to loose chlorine throughout the day. Today I added DE to the filter (enough to raise one psi) but then I lost return pressure. So what should I do? Backwash?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I only read the first page but when I had an above ground and it got cloudy sometimes I found the best thing was a clarifier. pretty cheap at the pool store or even walmart. Add the recommended amount and run the filter for a while. Sometimes it's just particles that aren't coagulating enough for the filter to do anything to them.

Pool is still cloudy... Can finally see the bottom stair. Tomorrow marks 3 weeks of opening slam (it was green, minimal derbies). Tonight after the sun went down my numbers are fc 19.5 cc 0.5 cya 30 ya 110 ph 7.6. I added DE Sunday but it dropped my return pressure so ive had to backwash several times. My dolphin escape runs several times a day. Filter is in 24/7. I've monitored my numbers like crazy even ran out of reagent what else can I do?

Clarifiers aren't recommended in the TFP mode of pool care. They can really gunk up a filter.

Adding a little DE to a sand filter helps clear the small stuff.

Yippee :flower:

Yes I know and I get it. I'm just stating what's worked for me as it seems the TFP mode of pool care isn't helping this person out. Chemistry is funny and different for every pool and while at some point they might get there, seems they need a nudge. It's cheap and if you either replace or clean your filters a day or so later the world will not end. That's the point of a filter right? Capture the crude you don't want in your pool?
If you have a sand filter, just do some backwashing. I've used clarifiers a few times a year on both above and inground pools for 3 or 4 years without any issues YRRMV.

Yes I know and I get it. I'm just stating what's worked for me as it seems the TFP mode of pool care isn't helping this person out. Chemistry is funny and different for every pool

What's interesting here is this is the bluest cloudy pool I think I've ever seen, and it's holding chlorine. I'll be interested to see what happens when less DE is added.

CDWA, are you sure there's no damage in your filter? cracked laterals, mis-aligned pipe etc?

I agree with the prior suggestions. Need to open the filter and check it out. Make sure sand level is adequate, that the laterals aren't damaged and everything else with the filter is sound. If that checks out, less DE should be added.

How I started:
da855e1e2736e31b0fbf2bbd3865679b.jpg

And then:

be067c74274eb479b234d94774c6141d.jpg

This is me after 3 weeks of 24/7 sand filtering/SLAM. Still very cloudy. Trust me, it takes a LOT of time and you can't really speed it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.