1st time pool owner, have no idea what I’m doing

Tippytee

Jul 15, 2020
Louisiana
I was recently given a 13,000 Gallon above ground pool with a vinyl liner and cartridge filter. We got it filled last week and it’s been a nightmare. I started off listening to friends that have pools adding chemicals blindly. I added shock, algaecide, ph down, and clarified with no results. I had enough of the frustration and took a sample of water to my local pool store (not a fan of pool stores but I am waiting on my kit to come in). They tested the water and told me to add a gallon of muriatic acid and 30 mins later to add 4 pounds of granulated shock and was told my water should be clear within 24 hours. My water still isn’t clear, for now I’m using Clorox test strips until my kit comes in. After adding the acid, my PH and alkalinity levels have dropped below “ok” range. My total
Chlorine is high and free chlorine is within normal range. I’ve attached a copy of the pool store results and my results 24 hours after adding the acid and shock. I still have green water. I’m not sure if I should drain and refill or what else to do. Helllpppp I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and I’m ready to burn in.F35A8B16-EA96-4837-BBC6-81C588C85C96.jpegBFEBC79F-8D2D-48AD-B5E8-707A14A51194.pngCCC3D5B3-AA32-4BAE-A76A-7AB9D7368B69.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!
What test kit have you ordered?
The 'shock' you have used - any of it dichlor?
If not, get 30 ppm worth of Cyanuric Acid aka stabilizer/conditioner dissolving using the sock method. I will detail that below. That would be 3 lbs of dry stabilizer.
Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine per day. A half gallon of 10% bleach (liquid shock, etc) per day.
When you get your test kit - run the full set of tests and post them here.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) or panty hose and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Welcome to the forum!
What test kit have you ordered?
The 'shock' you have used - any of it dichlor?
If not, get 30 ppm worth of Cyanuric Acid aka stabilizer/conditioner dissolving using the sock method. I will detail that below. That would be 3 lbs of dry stabilizer.
Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine per day. A half gallon of 10% bleach (liquid shock, etc) per day.
When you get your test kit - run the full set of tests and post them here.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) or panty hose and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

yes, the shock does have dichlor in it, I just checked. I’ve ordered the TF100 test kit.

So you added 4 lbs of it total? If so, you have at least 20 ppm CYA all ready. So do not add anymore for now.

Between that and the gallon of muriatic acid added, the pH is very low. Add 30 ppm TA worth of baking soda to raise your TA. Aeration will then raise your pH. That is 5 lbs of baking soda.

Great move on the TF100. Quality test kit.

Yes, I added the 4lbs as I was instructed. I am going to the store now to get baking soda. Is there anything I need to do after adding it? Vacuum? Brush? Pool store told me not to touch anything until water is clear. My pump has been running 24/7, do I still keep that running? How long can I expect it to take to clear the water, of course given that the baking soda fixes my levels. Sorry for all the questions. I am slowly learning and this is all confusing to me.

So you added 4 lbs of it total? If so, you have at least 20 ppm CYA all ready. So do not add anymore for now.

Between that and the gallon of muriatic acid added, the pH is very low. Add 30 ppm TA worth of baking soda to raise your TA. Aeration will then raise your pH. That is 5 lbs of baking soda.

Great move on the TF100. Quality test kit.

Yes, I added the 4lbs as I was instructed. I am going to the store now to get baking soda. Is there anything I need to do after adding it? Vacuum? Brush? Pool store told me not to touch anything until water is clear. My pump has been running 24/7, do I still keep that running? How long can I expect it to take to clear the water, of course given that the baking soda fixes my levels. Sorry for all the questions. I am slowly learning and this is all confusing to me.

Get the baking soda at Walmart or a grocery store. The pool store stuff will be 4X the price.

Brush would be good. Will break up any algae and get it in the chlorinated water.

No need to run pump 24/7 until you start the SLAM Process. That will be after you get your test kit.

Reactions: Tippytee
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.